1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker calibration question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jim Williams, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Well I finally got my Radio Shack SPL meter and used it with my Avia disc and all is well except that my right front speaker is 3db louder than the rest of my speakers. There is no way to adjust the level of that speaker alone with my receiver (a panny HE-100). The right speaker is basically in a corner while the left speaker is not. Could this account for the difference? If so (other than moving the speaker which is not possible) what can I do to balance it with the rest of the speakers?

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Use your L&R Balance Control then re-check the rest of the HT Speakers when you corrected the Front Left & Right Channels SPL's.

Phil

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

It could also be a problem with the disc itself, I had a friend bring over Video Essentials and his SPL meter when we ran this disc the meter showed my front right at being around 2db higher than the front left speaker. Both are 18" in from room corners etc so there was nothing different between the position of the 2 I ran the internal test tones on the reciever without moving the meter and all the speakers checked out fine.

Jeremy

4. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I have a feeling that it may be the Avia disc. I used the THX calibration tones on the T2-Ultimate DVD and it did not show that the right front was 3db hotter. I also used the test tones from my receiver and everything was balanced correctly. It is only when I use the Avia test tones that the right front speaker tests 3db hotter.

I am now a little dissapointed in the Avia disc.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Considering how THOUSANDS of users use SPL meters with Avia, I'm having trouble believing there is a defect in the disk. Nearly everyone would have noticed this.

(It is possible that a new pressing of the disk could have defects, but .. the stuff is digital and as long as the same master is used, this should not happen.)

I had a similar experience: one speaker showed louder than the other. I started to freak as these were my new DefTech towers that I had waited/fought for months to get. (long story, dont ask).

Try this: go behind your receiver and switch the L/R speaker connections. Now re-test. If the right speaker is still louder -> the disk is not the problem. You likely have wall-reflection issues similar to my problems. If the left speaker is now louder, then ... it is either the disk, or a receiver issue. (Check the balance knob - do you have kids?).