What's new

Speaker calibration method....Question... (1 Viewer)

jeff morris

Agent
I am about to do a seroius, or as seroius as I can get:laugh:, speaker cal. I have the Ratshak SPL meter and a tripod. I read not too long ago here that the proper way to cal is to put the meter where your head is-therefor the tripod- and to point the meter at the intersection of the front wall and ceiling to cal the fronts. OK, fine...now do I leave it like that to do the rears, which are behind my listening spot, or do I turn the meter towards the rear wall/ceiling??
I will also include the method of moving the meter a foot or so to either side and taking an average, although I can't see that will do anything much different.
Did I leave anything out?
I am using the Avia disc too.
Thanks to all!!
jeff:emoji_thumbsup:

jeff morris

Agent
I am about to do a serious, or as serious as I can get:laugh:, speaker cal. I have the Ratshak SPL meter and a tripod. I read not too long ago here that the proper way to cal is to put the meter where your head is-therefor the tripod- and to point the meter at the intersection of the front wall and ceiling to cal the fronts. OK, fine...now do I leave it like that to do the rears, which are behind my listening spot, or do I turn the meter towards the rear wall/ceiling??
I will also include the method of moving the meter a foot or so to either side and taking an average, although I can't see that will do anything much different.
Did I leave anything out?
I am using the Avia disc too.
Thanks to all!!
jeff:emoji_thumbsup:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Leave the meter in one place for all speaker readings. If you want to move it afterwards for a different set of readings in another location, that's fine, but don't move it during the test. It will still pick up the rear speaks while facing forward. Also, try not to block it with your body - crouch near it or lie on the couch near it while you take your readings. Use the RS bass correction factors for your deep bass sweeps if you will be performing any. For the regular sub test tone (which I think is around 40 Hz) it will read about 2 dB LOWER than the actual SPL.

Good luck.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks