Speaker Caliberation help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott_tinari, Aug 15, 2001.

1. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I have Video Essentials and SPL Meter, Now I have a Onkyo Integra 5.2 Reciever with DPLII. Now WHat is my reference point on my reciever. My reciever goes from 0 to 79db. Now Can I just set the SPL Meter to 70 db and c weighting. And should I just set the front and surround speakers to 0 and just raise my Main Volume till I get 75 dbs is that the right way. Help

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The 0-79 on your volume control is not in any way related to a decibel level. What you want to do is set all the channel levels on the receiver to 0 and set the SPL meter to C-weighting, slow response. Then play the test tone for the left main speaker and raise the master volume until your SPL meter reads 75db. Remember the number on your main volume control, as this is now your reference level. Then, with the main volume untouched, go through the tones for each speaker and adjust so that each reads 75db on your meter.
    After this, any time you want to turn your system to reference level, you just turn your volume control to the number that you noted for the main volume. Note: reference level is usually too damn loud for most people.