Speaker cables should be 10% of speaker cost

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Rochkind, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

This is rule I just made up.

Do you all think it makes any sense?

Example 1: I spent $3350 for 6 speakers (5 B&Ws and 1 Velodyne), so I should spend $335 for speaker cable.

Example 2: Someone buys an HTB for $1000. Figuring half the money went for the speakers, they should spend $50 for cable. (That is, not just use what came in the box.) $50 would easily cover enough 12-gauge cable to wire the system, figuring around 50 = 75 cents a foot.

2. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

No I don't agree. There comes a point when speaker cable can get no better no matter how much it cost. So it would be foolish to base how much you spend on speaker cable on what you spent on your speakers. Unless of course it is for ones ego then I say why not go right ahead.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

bump.

i want to see people's replies since i am a newbie as well.

4. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

The glaring flaw in the logic of this questions is....cost DOES NOT necessarily equate quality. Therefore, obviously I disagree.

5. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I agree with Reginald. Oh...and there's that whole proof that cables make a difference argument too. [​IMG]
    Jon

6. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

The rule doesn't apply very well. I have heard 10% of your whole system should be allowed for all your cabling, which is probably about right for most. And by cabling I mean, your sub cable, speaker cables, interconnects both analog and digital, plus video cables. Say you have a complete setup for $1000. If you use s-video cables that will take up most of your budget right there using the 10% rule.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reginald, right on.

I will add that there are no hard and fast rules for the percentage of a budget one should allocate for speaker cables, speakers, or any part of a system. Sure, if you allocate more money for cables, an amp, speakers, etc., you will often realize an improvement in sound, but one can still do very well if money is spent intelligently without necessarily following the percentage rules. The idea, as Reginald was getting at, is to get the best performance for the buck. There are many bargains out there. One way to look at all this is that if one says "Your speakers deserve a better amp", then one could say that the system is better than it otherwise might be because the percentage rules say that the amp would typically be paired with lesser speakers. In the end, you buy what you can afford and what you like, and hopefully, you are looking for good bargains in the process.

8. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Mark: Maybe the two "rules" are compatible. Mine is 10% of the speaker cost for speaker cabling. That leaves 10% of the cost of the non-speakers for other cabling.
    -------------------------
    Regarding the point that cost doesn't equate to quality: Of course, this is true. My rule is only a budgeting number. Clearly one has to be selective about how the money is spent, as would be the case for all equipment.