What's new

Speaker cables make little difference, what about interconnects? (1 Viewer)

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
I went with MIT for all of my interconnects and speaker cabling on my last build. I will admit that a large part of my decision was due to the fact that most of the cables were visible and the MIT stuff is very sexy to look at, especially with the big "look at me!" time alignment boxes on each cable.

Now, being dead honest... I could not tell much difference, if any, from the Monster Cables the MIT stuff replaced.

My point you ask? I would probably go with the best priced, quality insulated 14 gauge wire you can find unless your cabling will be visible. It's hard to connect 10k worth of speakers with cheesy looking cable in my opinion.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Unless things have changed, the last time I looked at MIT's patents, that box contained a zobel network...maybe a dollar's worth of parts.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If, as I suspect, all the gobbledegook about "high end" speaker cables really boils down to appearance, and NOT any differences in the sound, you could do what I did: Start with nice, cheap wire (I paid about 40 cents a foot). Cover it with Techflex (less than a buck a foot at Parts Express). Presto! You have "High End" speaker wire without the "high end" cost.

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
Chu... I am certain you are spot on with your analysis. That said, the MIT stuff is dead sexy to look at, I chose it for that reason. Another reason I liked the MIT speaker cables was the supreme ease of changing out the terminations. I wanted banana connectors on one end and spades on the other, with MIT this is no issue at all since terminations just screw on and off. This is an awesome feature in my opinion. If I swap gear later and need a different termination... 5 seconds later, mission accomplished.

Robert... I love that idea, dress up the cable for visual effect. Cables and such fall into what I affectionatly call the "tweak" zone of HT. There are countless number of tweak accessories available (first ten pages of every Audio Advisor catalog) and most are just neat-o gizmo gadgets. I do believe that pristine cables, connectors and other tweak items play a legitimate roll in the pure audiophile world but I am not convinced that they are nearly as effective (or maybe I should have said, noticeable) in the average mans (or womens) Home Theater set up.

My core logic is applicable to any product line on any topic of merchandise. A Mercedes is arguably a work of art, but it still is a mode of transportation. Another brand of car may be plastic and vinyl but it still gets you to work just as effectively as the Mercedes did. Different, but same. Most people buy the Mercedes because it is somewhat of a status symbol, I have no problem with that... I bought the MIT stuff for the same reason.

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
Chu... I am certain you are spot on with your analysis. That said, the MIT stuff is dead sexy to look at, I chose it for that reason. Another reason I liked the MIT speaker cables was the supreme ease of changing out the terminations. I wanted banana connectors on one end and spades on the other, with MIT this is no issue at all since terminations just screw on and off. This is an awesome feature in my opinion. If I swap gear later and need a different termination... 5 seconds later, mission accomplished.

Robert... I love that idea, dress up the cable for visual effect. Cables and such fall into what I affectionatly call the "tweak" zone of HT. There are countless number of tweak accessories available (first ten pages of every Audio Advisor catalog) and most are just neat-o gizmo gadgets. I do believe that pristine cables, connectors and other tweak items play a legitimate roll in the pure audiophile world but I am not convinced that they are nearly as effective (or maybe I should have said, noticeable) in the average mans (or womens) Home Theater set up.

My core logic is applicable to any product line on any topic of merchandise. A Mercedes is arguably a work of art, but it still is a mode of transportation. Another brand of car may be plastic and vinyl but it still gets you to work just as effectively as the Mercedes did. Different, but same. Most people buy the Mercedes because it is somewhat of a status symbol, I have no problem with that... I bought the MIT stuff for the same reason.

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
I personally like Acoustic Research's standard line of cables you can buy from Best Buy. I've compared them to monster and others and they seem to be a good product for the price. Even cheaper than Blue Jean cables with the same quality.

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
I personally like Acoustic Research's standard line of cables you can buy from Best Buy. I've compared them to monster and others and they seem to be a good product for the price. Even cheaper than Blue Jean cables with the same quality.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That's an honest answer but when in Atlanta, I've found the offerings at say the Cheetah Club to be just a wee bit sexier.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That's an honest answer but when in Atlanta, I've found the offerings at say the Cheetah Club to be just a wee bit sexier.

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
"That's an honest answer but when in Atlanta, I've found the offerings at say the Cheetah Club to be just a wee bit sexier. "

Ahhh, Chu has made a cameo at the Cheetah 3... very impressive indeed.

Agreed, the Cheetah is sexier... hands down.

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
"That's an honest answer but when in Atlanta, I've found the offerings at say the Cheetah Club to be just a wee bit sexier. "

Ahhh, Chu has made a cameo at the Cheetah 3... very impressive indeed.

Agreed, the Cheetah is sexier... hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks