1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Cables for Monitor Gold Reference 60

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by matthew, Jan 15, 2004.

1. matthew

matthew Agent

I just got my Monitor Audio Gold Reference 60s and now I want to upgrade my speaker cables. These speakers for those who are not familiar are tri-wireable and I cant find any places who make a triwire cable. So maybe I biwire or just single conductor cable. If I go biwire, which terminal bridges do I remove and keep. Please, someone who knows, help!!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Here is the concept:

You have 3 sets of binding posts on your speakers:

- One for the tweeter (usually the posts on top)
    - One for the mid-range driver (posts in the middle)
    - One for the woofer (posts on the bottom)

The terminal bridges tie all the red/positive connectors together and all the black/negative connectors together. This means you can run just 1 set of wires to ANY of the binding posts and all 3 get the signal.

If you want to send a signal to just one driver, you remove the bridge to isolate it and send the new wires to those terminals.

If you want to Tri-Wire you:

- Remove all terminal bridges
    - Run 3 sets of speaker wire (no, they dont all have to be bundled together) from your amp to the speakers.
    - Connect a separate wire to each pair of terminals

Your big problem is going to be at the other end: now you have to connect 3 sets of speaker wires to ONE set of speaker output posts on your reciever.

Consider dual-banana plugs like the 279-308 from Radio Shack. They have an over-sized hole that might let you merge 3 wires into 1 terminal.

Good Luck.

3. matthew

matthew Agent

Is there any true benefit to bi-wire or tri-wire or is a single connection basically the same?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Let's say you run 3 lines of 12 gauge wire. That would be the equivalent of running 1 line of about 7-8 gauge wire. It's very speculative if there's an audible benefit in doing this. Myself, I'd pay more attention to placing your speakers properly and then taking a look at your room to see how you can make it more friendly so to speak. When you go to a high end place, one large reason why things sound so good, apart from the speakers, is the room that they're in. So next time you go in one, pay more attention to the room and what they've done.

5. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

I say try bridging only the tweets and mids, and run your A set speaker out to that, and run your B set speaker out to the woofs. I think then you'd be feeding your speakers the most watts you can (75 watts or whatever shared between your tweets and mid, and 75 watts or whatever to your woof). This would seem to make more difference than tri-wiring your speakers and bridging them all together into one to go into your receiver - which seems pointless to me. Might as well save bucks and buy a monster cable and run it to the speakers with the bridge across all three - unless you get your banana plugs and cable for free.

The above is what I'd try first, but I don't claim to know anything either.