What's new

speaker cable (1 Viewer)

denis d

Auditioning
I want to change my speaker cable,what is the best cable vs money I can buy.I
need 2 (20 ft cable) does the wire gauge is still important or there is new wire
that can give me the same performance with smaller gauge. thank you

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
20 feet is the borderline between 14 gauge and 12 gauge that someone else on this forum mentioned, most videophiles recommend 12 gauge (thicker) in case you want to increase the distance at a later date for example to hide the components in a closet.
There is no advantage in spending more money for the same gauge wire, except if the more expensive wire is prettier looking or has banana plugs or other tips that fit on the amp terminals better, already attached.
I would go with a stranded wire instead of a solid wire, stranded is not so stiff.
Incidentally, staying with the same material, copper, there is no way you are going to get better performace with thinner wire. Silver is a better conductor but don't think about it, people will break in and rob you if they know you have silver electrical wires around the house.
More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on October 15, 2001 at 10:08 AM]

I am a big fan of Kimber 4PR. I was surprised how much of an inprovenemnt there was in my system going from some generic 12 gauge wire to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks