What's new

Speaker Cable-Wire (1 Viewer)

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
I am finding it hard to beleive some of these claims of speaker wire manufacturers. I just don't buy this stuff about the better sound if the cables cost 10 or 20 times as much as a comparable wire.

I would give you all the URL for a good site but the rules say I can't

You can find the site by doing a search on "Speaker Wire A History" by Roger Russell.

This is an interesting article well written and sounds totally resonable to me. Makes me glad I didn't spend the big bucks to purchase some of those super good fantastic cables.

What think ye all.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
There is a certain amount of difference that depends on a quality cable...but these cables can be bought for $30 or less. The rest is all about quality of construction and looks. Thats all really.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
I am talking about cables that some manufacturers have been selling for upwards of $200.00 Canadian. I also am referring to the noise supressors selling for more than 350.00. I turn my amp all the way up with nothing selected and it is so quiet I can't hear a thing. These noise eliminators are supposed to make it even quieter lol.

Greg_Hammond

Agent
I agree with Dave regarding the high-dollar speaker wire options that are out there. I don't necessarily agree with the noise filtering statement. There are some of us with chronic line noise issues, that one of those fancy $350+ (*cough* Monster HTS 5100) AC line filtering solutions can fix.

I have a Viewsonic LCD projector that had quite a bit of video noise when plugged into a fairly expensive consumer grade Belkin surge surpressor. Changing nothing more than the surge surpressor to a HTS 5100, the noise disappeared entirely. OK we're not talking about audio noise here, but I did get a very real improvement in picture quality.

A lot of the cost involved in those really expensive surge/noise supressors is the convenience factor - delayed power-on outlets, remote power control, voltage/current displays, etc. Naturally you can get by with a less expensive model with less frills. Me, I like frills. =)

Greg

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
I can see you have a good point Greg. I guess I am just spoiled as we have very good electrical supply. Very little or no voltage fluctuations and next to nothing or nothing for noise in our lines. If I had a problem like that I am sure I would spring for the extra sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks