Speaker Cable-Wire

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dave Lindhorst, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Dave Lindhorst

Dave Lindhorst Stunt Coordinator

I am finding it hard to beleive some of these claims of speaker wire manufacturers. I just don't buy this stuff about the better sound if the cables cost 10 or 20 times as much as a comparable wire.

I would give you all the URL for a good site but the rules say I can't

You can find the site by doing a search on "Speaker Wire A History" by Roger Russell.

This is an interesting article well written and sounds totally resonable to me. Makes me glad I didn't spend the big bucks to purchase some of those super good fantastic cables.

What think ye all.

2. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

There is a certain amount of difference that depends on a quality cable...but these cables can be bought for $30 or less. The rest is all about quality of construction and looks. Thats all really.

3. Dave Lindhorst

I am talking about cables that some manufacturers have been selling for upwards of $200.00 Canadian. I also am referring to the noise supressors selling for more than 350.00. I turn my amp all the way up with nothing selected and it is so quiet I can't hear a thing. These noise eliminators are supposed to make it even quieter lol.

4. Greg_Hammond

Greg_Hammond Agent

I agree with Dave regarding the high-dollar speaker wire options that are out there. I don't necessarily agree with the noise filtering statement. There are some of us with chronic line noise issues, that one of those fancy $350+ (*cough* Monster HTS 5100) AC line filtering solutions can fix.

I have a Viewsonic LCD projector that had quite a bit of video noise when plugged into a fairly expensive consumer grade Belkin surge surpressor. Changing nothing more than the surge surpressor to a HTS 5100, the noise disappeared entirely. OK we're not talking about audio noise here, but I did get a very real improvement in picture quality.

A lot of the cost involved in those really expensive surge/noise supressors is the convenience factor - delayed power-on outlets, remote power control, voltage/current displays, etc. Naturally you can get by with a less expensive model with less frills. Me, I like frills. =)

Greg

5. Dave Lindhorst

I can see you have a good point Greg. I guess I am just spoiled as we have very good electrical supply. Very little or no voltage fluctuations and next to nothing or nothing for noise in our lines. If I had a problem like that I am sure I would spring for the extra sound quality.