Speaker Cable to RCA Plug (does this really work?)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by apatel, Dec 26, 2009.

  1. apatel

    apatel Extra

    Dec 6, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I have a family room that is pre-wired, and the corner that the subwoofer would go in has a speaker cable connection that goes through the walls, back to the front of the room to where my receiver is right now. I'm wondering if I can use something like this cable, which has 18 gauge speaker cable on one end, and an RCA connection on the other end to go from my receiver's subwoffer out (RCA), convert to speaker wire, through the walls, out of the wall again as speaker wire, then back to RCA into a subwoofer.

    I would need two of these cables to do the trick.

    Would this work? Would it also mess up the signal quality?

    The cable is at: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102959

  2. gene c

    gene c Producer

    Aug 5, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Bay area, Ca
    Real Name:
    A subwoofer cable is supposed to be a 75 ohm coaxial cable. While what you're considering may actually work to some degree it wouldn't be the right way to do it. Subwoofer performance would likely suffer. I know it's not what you want to hear but I'd do it right the first time and use the correct cable.

    That particular cable is designed for use with the very few speakers which use the rca type connection with a receiver that uses regular speaker wire. It's not intended to be used as you're suggesting.

Share This Page