Speaker Cable Problems! Installation experts help!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonMIL, Jan 24, 2003.

1. JasonMIL

JasonMIL Extra

I just finished installing my first HT system and it everything is working perfectly. I'm a little on the obsessive side though so here is my question:

For the front speakers (all speakers are Sony SA-VE 335. Not exactly audiophile quality but good enough until I upgrade down the road)I have mounted them on stands with the cable concealed inside the stand poles. No problem there. The rear speakers are a problem however as I had to mount them behind and on either side of a couch, about halfway up the room's rear wall. The speakers themselves are silver-colored and do not lok bad on the wall, but the problem is that I have a cable running up the wall to each speaker. I can't hide the cables in the corners of the room and I can't drill holes in the walls and run in-wall cable, so my question (finally!) is what cable can I use to run to the rear speakers that will blend with the wall. I've seen monster's Flat Cable but It doesn't have an adhesive back and is heavy, making it tough to run up and fasten to the walls. AR has a microflat cable but it's 18 gauge. Is that too low a quality for 25-30 foot runs? My plan is (unless you have other suggestions) to run flat cable up the wall to the rears and then paint it to blend with the wall. Is this adequate? Any other options?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The problem with a thin-gauge wire is a long run will 'slant' the sound a bit.

But the rear speakers dont carry dialog/critical sounds so I doubt it will make much difference for the rear soundfield.

My advice: run 12 ga to the bottom of the walls under your speakers. Then run the flat 18 ga only for the trip up and paint.

As long as you dont expect to do SACD audio to the rears, this should give you a great movie experience.

Hope this helps.

3. JasonMIL

JasonMIL Extra

Thanks Bob. Does splicing cable together like that degrade the quality at all? Is there a way to splice that will ensure decent results? By the way, I bought the Panasonic SA-HE100 as my 1st HT receiver and I am very impressed with the sound I get for under $300. Can you shed any light on to any appreciable sound difference with more expensive components?

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have never heard the most golden-eared audiophile claim to hear a difference if one speaker wire is cut/spliced vs the other being 1 piece.

But the issues why this is a bad idea are not based on sound. The bigger issues IMHO are:

- A break that exposes copper that will oxidize in a year or two. Make sure to leave 4-5 inches of slack so you can trim back the oxidized copper every 2 years or so.

- A break is a failure point should the wire get tripped over/moved around a lot.