Speaker cable length

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisDixon, Dec 5, 2002.

1. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I just saw a link to a Vandersteen site that said that two different cable lenghts will change the sound (see below). I have read in the past that "coiling" the extra cable that you need to make matching lengths causes more problems than different sizes. It said that cable differences would have to be WAY off for any discernable difference. What do you folks think? If you have a Right cable that is 3 feet and a Left cable that is 10 feet, and surrounds that are 30 feet, will you notice a difference in imaging? To me, this article seems to over-emphasize the importance.
    Chris
    Article: http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/Answr7.htm
    Passage:
    The cables should all be the same length. This is not due to the time that the signal takes to travel through a cable, but rather that two different lengths of the same cable will sound different. If the cables connecting one speaker are a different length than the cables connecting the other speaker, the resulting difference in sound between the two speakers will compromise the imaging and coherence of the system. If different lengths of cable are used for the bass and midrange/tweeter inputs of the speakers, the effects will be similar to those experienced when using two different cables as described above.
    Since short runs of speaker cable sound better than long runs, consider placing your electronics between the speakers rather than off to one side. If for convenience or aesthetic considerations, the electronics must be located a considerable distance from the speakers, it is usually preferable to place the amplifier between the speakers and use long interconnect cables and short speaker wire.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

pretty much a crock. that said, i have a preference for equal lengths (not front and rears) simply because I enjoy symmetry. far as imaging goes, your speaker/listener placements in conjuction with the acoustical nature of your room will swamp any theoretical differences in speaker wire lengths. btw, that coiling stuff is bs also.

3. Mikey.S

Mikey.S Extra

try also here for a simple definition of bi-wiring i found
    [​IMG]
    Bi-wirng

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm afraid it's trying to perpetuate the audio myth that "all speaker wires should be the same length".

A difference between 3 ft and 80 ft - yes. Component video cables - yes. But a few feet difference in the L/R - I've never even heard the most rabid golden-eared audiophile claim he could tell which was which.

5. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

I think it sounds a little fanatical. I try and use equal lenghts to each set of speakers (10ft of wire to the fronts, 20ft to the rear channel. more importantly, is for long runs you should use a higher gauge wire.