What's new

Speaker Cable Length Question (1 Viewer)

Arun_VK

Auditioning
Real Name
Arun_VK
Folks,

I am in the process of setting up a HT system with following:

a) Yamaha RX-V2600 Receiver
b) Dynaudio Audience 82 Front L+R Main speakers
c) Dynaudio Audience 122C Center Channel
d) 2 x M&K - Model K5 Presence (front top L & R)
e) 2 x M&K - Model K5 Rear center
f) 2 x M&K - Model K5 rear-side surround (L & R)

For the 3 Dynaudios, I have used 12 gage cable of EXACTLY the same length for all three - about 25 ft each.

For the M&K's I plan on using 16 gage cable. The M&K speaker farthest away from the receiver will be require about 50 to 55 ft of cable.

My questions:

1) Is it OK to use 16 gage for the M&K's ?

2) Do all the six cables for the M&K surrounds have to be of exactly the same length or do I need to have the same length for just the two speakers in each pair ? For example, the rear centers will need about 55ft while the front presence will need about 40 ft.

This Yamaha receiver has YAMAHA Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer (YPAO) which is supposed to automatically adjust timing, cross-over frequency, level and Q factor for each of the speakers. Given all this stuff, I would be inclined to believe that my satellite cables can be of any length and the receiver will automatically delay the signals for the appropriate surround speakers so that an overall balance is reached. Is this a fair assumption, or do I still have to use cabling of exactly the same length for the satellites, or pairs of satellites ?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
16 gauge should work fine considering surround speakers don't take a tremendous load. As far as length just try to keep the cables as short as humanly possible. In general the only time people have same exact length cables is with the two front channels for imaging purposes in stereo or phantom operation.

Seth=L

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wire length will make NO DIFFERENCE, unless you were talking literally a hundred feet.

16 is probably adequate, but 14 would always be a safe bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks