Speaker cable for Sony DA3ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Boyd, May 1, 2002.

1. Larry Boyd

Larry Boyd Auditioning

Hello, I'm new to this forum. In a couple days I'm receiving a new Sony DA3ES receiver and Sony 650V DVD player which has SACD. My speakers are Sony M7s in the front and M3s in the back. I would appreciate any recommendations regarding speaker cable. I would like to stay as close to $100 per pair as I can but would be willing to go a little higher.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

any reason why something like SoundKing 12 gauge from say partsexpress.com wouldn't fit the bill?

3. Larry Boyd

Larry Boyd Auditioning

Thanks for the reply. What is the sound characteristics of this cable? I've heard the Sony can be somewhat bright and am looking for a speaker cable to tone down this characteristic.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Larry whomever told you or wherever you've read that speaker cables have the ability to function as tone controls stop right now and banish these thoughts from your mind. The 'brightness' of your system, if it has one, will largely be a function of your choice of speakers, their placement, and the way they interact with your particular room environment. Your receiver, amp, integrated amp, whatever, assuming its been set to its default position and that the default corresponds to a flat frequency response will be audibly virtually indistinguishable from any other amp provided that all are not pushed beyond their capabilities. If the appearance of the wire is not an issue, then SoundKing, as well as a host of other 12 gauge copper stranded wires will be quite adequate. If appearance is for some reason an issue, then you will of course pay more for the cosmetics. To date, there has been no credible evidence that under unsighted 'double blind tests' that wires of similar lengths and similar gauges sound any different. With regards to receivers or amps(solid state that is) the only study i'm aware of was that amps that had an extended frequency response with commensurate low distortion across that bandwidth, tended to be preferred over those that didn't. The current thinking along those lines is that the extended frequency response implied a minimization of overtones in the audible region and/or lower levels of odd-order distortion components.

5. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Larry,
    I'm not in agreement with Chu on the idea that speaker wire won't make a difference. I respect the "credible evidence" and DBT points, but this is the tweak forum and many of us do our best to contribute thoughts/ideas based on our own experience, subjective though it may be. Now having said that, I'm going to sort of agree with Chu. [​IMG] For $100 or less I personally don't think you'd find much difference between cables. Just for fun though, maybe get a whole bunch of the SoundKing 12 guage, and then pick up a pair of used wires at Audiogon (Analysis Plus Oval, for instance). Now you could try both wires out and then let us know your impressions?

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Oh I think experiences are interesting but any evaluations need to be provided in some sort of consistent manner in order for them to be inherently useful to the person doing the evaluating, and for that matter, to be able to pass the information along to individuals. Its been well demonstrated that in unsighted tests the comments I made tend to hold up while in sighted tests various adjectives and adverbs tend to come out. This also includes wires that differ by orders of magnitude in price. However if you've a couple of friends you could certainly conduct a test that should answer questions along these lines. Could make for an evening of entertainment and then you walk away with something more important than a belief, you walk away with knowledge. Mind you, I am not stating that there is only one reason to buy wires, but if your overriding goal is the ability to faithfully and accurately act as a conduit for transferring the signal from your receiver to your speakers, then good quality 12 gauge multi stranded copper will do just fine. Once again any brightness you experience that you feel is deleterious to your listening experience is typically a function of your speakers and the way they interact with your listening environment. You may find that time spent playing with their position and assorted room treatments may yield an overall greater satisfaction with your system.