What's new

Speaker cable connectors (1 Viewer)

Steven M*M*

Auditioning
I'm not sure what type of speaker wire connectors I should utilize. I have 12 gauge speaker wire running from my Arcam avr100 to AE Aegis apeakers. I'm pretty sure that the arcam will not take bannana plugs. Should I use spade connectors on the speaker end? And what about on the receiver end? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
steven, welcome to HT Forum.
1. Banana plugs if amplifier binding post handle them is the most convenient way to plug in. Sometimes the posts are so close together it's a chore to insert bare wire ends.
2. Spade terminals are the classic connectors for screw-type posts offering a lot of surface area contact.
3. Bare wire trimmed a half-inch and twisted must be used for spring-type terminals; or can be inserted in 5-way binding posts that have a hole in the shaft. If 12gauge is too thick to insert, just peel away a few strands and cut off with side-cutters.
The most important caution with bare wire connections is NO LOOSE STRANDS between terminals. I haven't used them, but there are metal pins to attach to wires used in spring terminals.
(I am not a moderator, so forgive me, but you don't have to cross post here; pick your best forum and submit there.) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks