What's new

Speaker cabinet internal wiring - worthwhile to replace with heavier gauge? (1 Viewer)

Shawn_McCann

Auditioning
Recently I opened up my CSW Tower speakers. I was disappointed to find relatively thin wire inside the cabinets. Would it be worthwhile to replace the speaker cabinets' internal wiring? It appears to be 16 gauge.

FYI, I'm running 12 gauge wire from a Marantz SR8000 receiver to the Towers.

-- Shawn McCann

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I don't think I would go to all that trouble for what little it may do when all's said and done.
Just leave well enough alone and hook up the speakers as is and enjoy.
Too much tweaking can be a bad thing IMHO :)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I can't think of a possible benefit but if it's going to make you feel better doing it, knock yourself out. BTW, they're no longer under warranty are they?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Almost all speakers use the thin wires internally.

It's the long run (5,10,20 ft) of speaker wire that will roll-off the upper frequencies.

It helps to think of your speaker wires as an antenna. The little jumper wires inside the speakers are crappy antenna's so they dont cause problems. 16 ga is fine for them. The long runs of wire are rather good antennas. Using thicker wires reduces the effect, but does not eliminate it.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
If your wires are not soldered onto the crossover or drivers, but use spade lugs, you might try soldering them. It can improve the sound slightly.

Cheers,
Mike

PederB

Auditioning
You will inprove the sound by replacing you internal wireing with for an example XLO or any other hi end internal wire. I did re wire my speakers and it was stunning how much of an improvement it did. ;)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
lol...a little bit of self promotion there! now be a good fellow and cough up some monthly dues to Parker & Ron to keep this website going!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks