What's new

Speaker Buzz (1 Viewer)

Ronald.H

Agent
I've had be theater done for about 4 months. I've been having trouble with speaker buzz. I thought that I would get used to it, but instead, it's bothering me more and more.

The buzz is only in my surrounds and center, not in the right and left front speakers. It also seems to happen only with processed audio. For example, when playing a DVD, it is silent, then the buzz starts for the THX logo, then silent, the buzz for the start of the movie. In between these "chapters," no buzz.

The buzz also seems to be related to my lights. I have Lutron Spacer System dimmers connected to my 4 sconce lights and single ceiling can light. When the lights are on, buzz. Lights off, no buzz.

The buzz is pretty quiet, but definitely noticeable (although my wife claims she can't hear it).

What troubleshooting steps can I take to try to alleviate this annoyance?

Thanks!

Ron

My Theater - The Bryant Street Theatre :frowning:

BobAZ

Stunt Coordinator
Are your lights and A/V equipment using the same circuit from the power distribution box? Use a long extension cord and plug your A/V equipment into a different outlet. Something a couple rooms away or on the far side of your house where you can be sure you're not on the same circuit.

If you can turn on the lights and A/V with no buzz then I'm guessing you probably need to run a new dedicated circuit to your A/V equipment.

It only buzzes in center and surround spkrs? Strange. What is the sensitivity of your mains, center, surrounds?

Ronald.H

Agent
I have determined that the A/V equipment is on its own breaker, separate from the lights.

And the buzz only happens when it's on dolby digital. For example, when I hit "Play Movie" on a DVD, it will be quiet, then I'll hear the buzz for the THX logo, then quiet, then the buzz will start again for the movie. It's strange...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks