Speaker buzz...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andrew S, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

First a little background information:

My receiver is a Panasonic SAHE70, and my main speakers are Paradigm Compact Monitors (6-ohms, bi-ampable).

My receiver powers my speakers to acceptable levels, but I feel like I'm pushing it sometimes when playing movies/music moderately loud. I have an old Sansui amplifier that I could use for the speakers, however, I do not have any pre-outs, so I took a route that I imagine isn't too acceptable among most of the audio gurus here, which was to convert my headphone jack to a preout with the appropriate adapters.

I didn't expect much from this setup, but I found it sounded as good as before (and a lot louder of course) EXCEPT when my ear was within an inch or two from the tweeter, where there was a noticable buzzing noise when I would mute my source. Before if I put my ear next to the tweeter when the source was muted, I would hear a slight hiss, but now instead there is a slight buzz.

Sorry for all the detail, but my main concern in this post is whether or not the buzz I am hearing is damaging to my speakers/tweeters? I know clipping and distortion can be damaging, is it the same situation here?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Do both speakers do it.
    Hook up a set of headphones to the jack DO the headphones do it as well?

3. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

Both speakers do make the noise... sounds almost as if you were listening to a bad recording (up close to the speaker)?
    Haven't tried headphones yet.