Speaker Burn In Methods

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Daniel_Wang, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Daniel_Wang

Daniel_Wang Auditioning

I recently purchase the Monitor Bronze series 4. They each have two 6.5 in drivers and one 25mm gold dome tweeter. What is the most efficient practice used to break in these type of speakers?

2. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Just play 'em.

Sorry, but some folks don't subscribe to the "burn in" pooh. I'm one of them - apparently so is Tom Noussaine, so I have decent company. If there was really something to speaker burn-in then we all know darned well that some enterprising speaker manufacturer would have come up with super-special factory burn-in as a brand differentiator. At the very least some of these finer speaker assemblers would have put a page in their extensive documentation on exactly how their product should be broken in and for how one.

And if that is not quite convincing enough - how many dealers have you ever heard of that offer burn-in as a service. And no, selling demos and trade-ins does not count, 'cause if it mattered then you would be paying extra for that service and that means demos would cost more than new in the box...

Speakers don't burn-in - your perception of them may adapt over time and that's more what produces any reported burn-in.

3. Daniel_Wang

Daniel_Wang Auditioning

So then the whole loosening of the drivers and that sort of thing is a myth? I mean if I put enough thought into it I could probably convince myself that it's all "pooh", but then I wouldn't seek out the advice of the veterans. Truthfully, I really havent seen any data that states white noise and the like can break in speakers faster.

4. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Daniel - I'll probably eventually get torched by the burn-in afficionados, but I did survive a prior thread that had lots of good comments and links. The one link that I'd found a while back and that does influence my thinking just a wee bit is this article by Tom Nousaine (http://bruce.coppola.name/audio/BurnInLegend.pdf).

I'll leave it to folks like Mr. Nousaine who are generally held as expert and objective to do the tests and report the results. I'll also admit that I fall closer to the "if you can't measure it then it's ain't there" camp than not (truth in advertising notice: biases have now been disclosed). I do tend to like the argument that if it's not offered as a product differentiator by the manufacturer or an added-cost service by a dealer then it's not really real, but that's probably just 'cause I typed it...

You can probably find that prior thread by doing a search in here on "village idiot" - that probably appears more than once where I've been involved (as in "Hi, my name is Tim and I am a village idiot" ;-).

5. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

You can't get a more complicated device for human consumption than a car. How do you break it in? You drive it. With speakers, same thing, you play them.

6. Aaron D

Aaron D Stunt Coordinator

From my personal experience, my Paradigms took on a noticably whole other sonic attitude after playing them for several weeks (much much better bass response and warmer mids). I tend to wonder if break in is a true scientific phenomenon (being of a scientific myself), but for me, it is at least subjectively true.

The same argument could be made for breaking in speaker cables (something I would believe less than speaker break in), but there are commercially available devices to do that job.

Again this is likely subjective.

A

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I actually never questioned speaker break-in. Maybe I need to research more before I just do things. :b

Anyway, I have a stereo receiver in my garage and play my speakers on any FM station for a few days straight. That way I'm not "conditioning myself" and can better A/B speakers that are all broken in.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Find out when you can return them for all your money back and play them long enough to decide if you like them but not so long that you can't return them.

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

My friend got this CD that claims it makes your speakers sound better if you play it. It is used for the sole purpose of burning in a speaker too.

He said it cost like $50 or more but I think he pirated it. [​IMG]

I'm gonna audition it this weekend, should be worth a good laugh.

10. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

2nd and 3rd tracks of wish you were here

11. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

I agree 100%. My Paradigms did the same thing after about a month. The bass opened up and the mids/highs became much warmer. I know it wasn't my ears adjusting to the sound because I let the speakers play all day while I went to work. Maybe it's a paradigm thing.

12. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

I believe there were some tests performed where speakers were measured and listened to when brand new and after prolonged "breaking in". No differences could be measured and in double blind listening tests the new/broken-in speakers could not be identified.

13. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Sooner or later I will finally get around to purchasing the second pair of Paradigm Atoms to complete my 5.1 system. I'll do a blind A/B and see if theres any truth to break-in....

14. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

John, I believe there are measurements to prove that woofers do exhibit a mechanical break-in which lowers the Fs and increases Vas. Whether this effect contributes to everything we hear, I don't know. My own speakers had a significant change in tone and reduced distortion in the first few hours, and further improved by playing a strong low frequency tone for a while. Some speakers may be broken-in in this way before shipment, and some may not be as susceptible to the effect.

15. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Ok then. Rockford fosgate has in its manual a little section talking abuot breaking in the sub first. Also the new HE and HE2's come pre-broke in from the factory. I beleive in it a little bit. But I think it is more of a power handling, longevity thing, than a sonic difference in sound. I think it does loosen up the surround etc.

16. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Anybody ever pay extra for burn-in? Does that come as an option from any manufacturer (other than the testing they hopefully did before the speaker shipped)? Does any dealer offer speaker break-in/burn-in as a service, and do they charge for it?

I live in the U.S. of A., which among other things means that if anyone can make a buck at anything then generally someone will try to if they can get away with it. I've never known of any dealer selling a break-in option - 'nuff said...

For the longest time I thought that there just had to be something real to break-in. Subwoofer surrounds, mechanical stuff - it just had to change. But then I started reading the stuff by Nousaine and others and now - I still do think that there is some break-in but that it's practically all done by the end of testing at the end of the assembly line. And since Nousaine et. al. could never measure an audible difference (and I never heard anything like that even with my Paradigms) I've come around to the viewpoint that burn-in is likely more myth and placebo than anything real - at least for me. But if someone else really hears the difference - more power to them.

17. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

How will you do that seeing as you'd need to rotate the speakers out in order to maintain the same spatial relationships?

18. Travis R.

Travis R. Agent

Hello Daniel, check out a thread on January 22, 2004 by DaveD called "Proper Speaker break in". The thread explores the Myth of speaker break and some good links to extra info. I would put a link to it but I don't know how. I found it most informative.

Cheers

Travis R.

19. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

Burn-in - who cares? They never sound worse afterwards, so just play em. And if you must, just leave a good radio station on when you are at work for a week. I do not doubt an effect exists, but I think it's the last thing to be concerned with.

Why parch yourself as you wait for the wine to age? Do yourself and your speakers good by filling the cup from day one. You'll still end up with that dusty bottle soon enough.

20. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Many speaker manufacturers play/test their speakers for a few hours before boxing them up for sale. This is all the break in that they will need...