Speaker Burn in, And SVS Build Quality...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TravisMc, Jun 25, 2002.

1. TravisMc

TravisMc Stunt Coordinator

Two Questions

As per my other post, Im going to be building a very nice HT system over the next few years, but, in the meantime, I ordered the entire Klipsch Reference 3 series, with a KSW 15 Sub...

How many of you believe in speaker break-in/burn-in? How long should I do it? Should I even do it to start with?

And second question, eventually, in the future, I plan on buying either two SVS Ultras, or two SVS SS Subwoofers

I heard somewhere, that their cone cylinder material could be compared to cardboard, coverd in an epoxy, is this true? Does it hold up well? I dont want to blow two grand, just to find out SVS Sounds awesome, and is built like crap

Thanks for any input

-Travis

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Travis, calling the SVS Sonotube-like material "cardboard" would be like calling a half-inch steel plate "sheet metal". It's true, but the comparison is pointless. It's strong stuff. Don't worry about it.

Break-in happens and can be a huge difference, but it depends on the speakers. I'm not sure about the Klipsches.

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Travis,

As Mike indicated, the tubing we use is highly specialized and bears no similarity I can think of to "cardboard", other than both are derived from trees I suppose.

It's thicker, stronger, smoother, sealed better than any similar products I've seen, and even moisture resistant given the polymer wrap we spec. The stength to weight ratio would be equal to any material I can imagine in a commercial subwoofer.

Oh, and not one of the thousands in the field has been damaged, ever. (Now and again a base plate will get cracked but that's usually only 1" MDF in that case ;^)We've beefed up and upgraded every component on every sub so that it could withstand the torture test of UPS shipping and have some of the lowest damage rates I've ever heard about in the industry... so we must be doing something right.

And by the way. We've dissected dozens of makes of subwoofers over the past few years. SVS's take a back seat to none of them in terms of fit/finish/materials and durability. None.

We wouldn't, and couldn't, back them (top to bottom, including electronics) for 3 years, at no extra cost to you, if they weren't as good as any subwoofer can be built.

Ron

4. TravisMc

Thanks for the responses guys

Ron, your comments sure help in the buying process : )

I look forward to doing business with SVS

One more question, as far as the SS series goes, the covering simply goes ontop of the Sonotube that is used in the ultra, right?

Or, does the SS sport a more advanced cylinder design?

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Travis,
    Actually the SS is the only SVS to use a totally different tubing. It's an extremely costly, pressure formed, low void plywood laminate with a final hardwood veneer applied by specially trained woodworkers. I just inspected the last batch of them in Ohio and I can tell you that the phrase "furniture grade" is wasted on them.
    We don't think the sonics of the SS are significanly changed with this sort of tubing but it's the only sort that would take the veneer application and remain durable.
    A bit more on the SS here: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_ss.htm
    Ron

6. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Even if SVS used regular ol' sonotube...that's some pretty beefy cardboard[​IMG]
    I just sunk 22 post holes, 4 feet deep, with a couple hundred pounds of concrete in each sonotube...to build a fence on pete moss. I can vouch for a sonotube's durability from my fence building hell...and as an owner of an SVS.
    I also come from the KSW-15 camp. I still have my Klipsch, but its no longer in the HT. And I only have a single old school 20-39PC.[​IMG] The only build quality YOU need to be concerned with is that of your home....You won't believe the difference between the SVS and Klipsch.
    Jeremy
    Jeremy

7. TravisMc

Thanks for the info

On another note, do SVS Subs blend well with Klipsch Products in general?

Im going to enjoy my reference 3 system for awhile, and, eventually move up to the reference 7 System

One more thing, general logic says that, you have many different woofer sizes.....8", 12", 15", 18", 21", etc

So, My question is simply does SVS plan on bringing out an even more powerfull subwoofer?

As in, instead of a 12" driver, perhaps, a 15" driver?

Im sure there isnt a need for it, but I would imagine that is the next logical step for SVS...maybe im just dreaming : )

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Now that I would like to see. By the first of the year, preferably. 15"--SVS

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Travis, the V in SVS uses Klipsch speakers in his theater.

The 12" driver in the Ultra/SS is capable of pretty much the same displacement as the Adire Tempest (15"), which is pretty impressive. The only draw back is that the 12" driver they use requires quite a bit more power than a Tempest does. I doubt SVS will make a 15" anytime soon as it would result in a much larger enclosure being needed which would make shipping more difficult.

10. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

Travis, subs tend to blend well with everything because the lower bass frequencies are not directional. Since you are using towers as your main speakers you'll probably have the sub crossed at a low frequency that won't be directional.

The biggest problem with subs revolve around room acoustics. It sounds like you are going with a higher-end SVS sub so you'll be able to use an external bass management EQ to compensate for room variables. The integrated amp models aren't quite as flexible.

Dustin makes a good point...the air volume that a sub moves is a function of the size and the excursion. Most of the larger subs do not have a wide excursion so they might only move the same volume of air. I've also been told that the larger subs are difficult to make precise because starting/stopping the movement of a smaller cone is quicker than the larger ones. A 12" sub will probably be tighter/more musical than the larger ones.

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

12. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

Travis
    My thoughts on blending with Klipschs. I went through several mistakes (although not terribly expensive) with matching subs with my heritage Klipschs. Here is my ear's impression of the problem:

The more efficient speakers sound like they are quicker (dynamic changes in frequency are handled with a deft casualness requiring very little power) than the subs I tried - subs always seemed just slightly behind and take longer to finish - not to mention boomy, clipping, etc. My SVS 20-39PCi is exceptionally unnoticed - all I get is a well matched clarity of the lower frequencies. I am a believer - small setting for speakers with this sub. Good match for a very dynamic speaker.