Speaker building - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryce*C, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Bryce*C

Bryce*C Auditioning

I'd really like to learn how speakers work and actually get started building a speaker system here but I have absolutely no idea where to start. I don't understand half the stuff I read here [​IMG] So my question is, is there a site that tells all the basic stuff and how to get started?
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

My recommendation is to always start out with a pre-engineered kit, meanwhile reading up on design theory. I believe the hands-on building will help understand the theories, and you'll end up with speakers that sound good until you get into your first "upgrade" (which WILL happen). Patrick's book suggestion is excellent, and Radio Shack's "Advanced Speaker Design" is an inexpensive paperback that's surprisingly packed with info.
    I always recommend the least expensive kits, like those from Sound Clearing House, to begin with:
    http://www.speakerpage.com
    Have fun.[​IMG]

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

My first project was the Georgia Tech 2-ways from Marshall Leach.
    It's a pretty basic design, and if you're any good with woodworking, pretty easy to build.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Mine were the Leach 3-way speakers that I did for college credit. [​IMG] I'm so glad I had a roommate who was local, and whose dad had a nice workshop in which to do the cabinet construction.

6. Brian Foley

Brian Foley Agent

Best place to start IMO is the LDSG Site. It's more of a resource for speaker builders than a tutorial for beginners, but it can direct you to other sites of interest. And if you're thinking of building a kit, you definitely want to study the overview of available kits and vendors on this site.
    FWIW, I would strongly urge you to go this route. The thing that makes or breaks a speaker is the crossover design, and doing a good one on your own requires a sizeable investment in design and testing tools, not to mention lots of time and several iterations of the crossover design. If you buy a kit (or at least use a proven crossover design), you're almost guaranteed a successful project.

7. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Auditioning

My site [​IMG]