Speaker Break In Times

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ozric_smith, Jan 23, 2002.

1. ozric_smith

ozric_smith Agent

Ok ... It might just be me. I got an SPL and set my system up. I was way off by ear. I don't think I have ever played anything that loud yet. Might have been the balance. Might have been the speakers breaking in. Might have been the DD mix on The perfect Storm DVD. But it sounded great, in

fact the best that it have ever sounded. What do you think.

Oh, should I get some banana plugs or save up for N28 or N38 fronts?

DS595

NSP1

PB10

Ratshack A/V gold

RS megacable, bare wire.

2. Horatio Jones

Horatio Jones Stunt Coordinator

speaker break in is a myth, lets assume it actually is true, then what is to say that they won't over break and then sound worse? Also, if it is true then how many hours is the right amount? Have you ever seen a speaker manual tell you to wate 6 months for it to sound good? my guess is that it was the DD track.

3. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

While I'm of the opinion that break-in of electronic components, cables etc is questionable, I suspect that any mechanical parts can have a "break-in" period. With speakers, I would assume that the break-in could come about with micro fractures on the cones and on their bindings to the coil etc.

How long have you had these speakers ?

4. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Speaker break-in time varies from speaker to speaker. The sound WILL indeed change over time. It's a reality, not a myth.

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I just bought a new pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors for my front speakers and they really do sound better every day I listen to them.

6. ozric_smith

ozric_smith Agent

I have had the system for about 2 weeks now. Maybe 6 hours of use a day. It does seem to get better everyday I listen to it. [​IMG]

7. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

My favorite quote about speaker breakin:
    "A break-in period is an excuse made up by some audio manufacturers to get your ears used to the bad sound."
    That's from Roger Russell's website. He used to be the Director of Acoustic Research at McIntosh. Lots of really good information on his page.
    -greg

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Break in is not a myth. Some of the best speaker manufacturers recommend speaker break in of about 40hrs or more. Visit some DIY speaker sites and you will find out the truth. ACI recommends exensive break in for their speakers and from their reputation, you can hardy say they don't know anything about speakers.

9. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

in fatc, i have seen a disclaimer on some pieces of Cambridge Audio electronic equipment, saying to give a little time to the equipment until it sounds its best.

10. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Speaker break in is no myth. I'm not one to claim I hear a difference between cables and the like with the exception of the Rhino cable I got for my Hsu sub, but I most definitely hear a difference in a new pair of speakers over the break in period. I just got a new pair of Klipsch reference speakers three days ago. I've been playing them for 4-6 hours a day for a total of approximately 15 hours thus far. Different speakers would require different break in periods, but I imagine the change in most will not be that noticable after around 30 hours.

11. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

The manuals that come with Paradigm speakers mention break in: "Although Paradigm speakers sound great 'out of the carton', they will sound even better when 'broken in'. Operate them for several hours before you listen critically." I'm not saying this is the definitive statement on the subject, but it does lend it at least some credibility in my opinion.

12. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

I am so sick of the "break-in is a myth thing." Anyone who has purchased a new pair of speakers know it to be a fact. I recently purchased a Paradigm reference 7.1 system and I can tell you the thing sounded god-awful when I first fired it up. The highs were brutal and the lows were boomy. Now, two weeks, later the system sounds exactly as I expected it would - it sounds like the best system I have ever owned!

John

13. Sebastien David

sorry to spread gas on the fire here, but couldn't it be argued that you got used to the sound?

in other words, there is break-in, but is it in the speakers or the brain of the listener?

the only way to tell is to compare used to new speakers of the same model.

14. Paul Seyfarth

Paul Seyfarth Stunt Coordinator

I have listened to two pairs of the same speakers when they were new and they sounded, Then one of the pairs was broken in and the the other wasn't. The two pair of speakers sounded different.

I also have a sub in my car, when I first got it it didn't sound that loud, and the sub wan't moving that much once I broke it in it was louder and was moving more.( with the same volume )

15. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

On a side note, I love the sound of a good subwoofer.

16. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I'd have to agree with Sebastien....

You've introduced a completely new sound to your ears, your brain has been conditioned to your previous speakers, and it's only natural that when you plug in the new speakers, you'll be hearing something completely different and the first reaction is "OUCH this is so harsh sounding!!", when in reality, you're just not used to it yet.

In time, your ears adjust to the "new sound" and soon it sounds "normal" again. That, in my opinion, is what true "break in" of speakers is doing.

Just my 2 cents.

17. Sebastien David

you know what I think?

both things are happening. you are getting used to the sound, but there is also a change in the hardware, briniging about a real change in sound. I think the psychological side of the issue is the biggest one, though, but that cannot be determined other than by a double blind test or such measures.

18. Ken Stokes

Ken Stokes Agent

Break in is very real. I have owned a few speakers in my day, some not requiring break in. My last upgrade was to Aerial LR5s. I auditioned them and loved the sound. Purchased some, took them out of the box and almost had a heart attack, they sounded horrible. I boxed them up for return and called my dealer. He assured me that Aerial is famous for needing break in and urged me to give them a chance. They sounded good at fifty hours and just like the auditioned pair after one hundred hours. If you don't believe me take a 7k test and buy some of these wonderful speakers.

Ken