What's new

Speaker brands/models I should try out (1 Viewer)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I'm looking at getting new front/center speakers. My budget is right around $1000 for all three.

My current front runer is the Klipsch RF35 floorstanding and RC35 center.

What other brands/models should I look for in this budget range?

Thanks!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
If you are interested in changes brands I will suggest you give Paradigms a listen. For a $1,000 you could get a pair of Monitor 7s with a CC-370 center channel. I have the Version 1 of Monitor 7s and the new Version 3 model sounds even better.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
That's what I was interested in. Other Brands/ models of floor-standing and center channel speakers that are in the same general price range and of the same physical dimensions. I know I have to listen to them to find out if I like them, but with all the choices out there, its hard to know where to start. As a kid I was always into car audio, so I know a lot about those brands, but I never even owned a home stereo until I was in my late 20s, so I really don't know the reputations of the various brands out there. My philosophy has always been to buy one component at a time, buying the best I could afford, and then focusing on the next component. I now have a Denon 3803 (a replacement for that first stereo, a Sony prologic that blew a channel) a Sony DVD/SACD/CD 5 disk, (which I LOVE by the way) a Sony VCR (ditto on the love meter), and a Boston Micro 80 5.1 speaker system. I plan to keep the Boston surrounds and sub and use the Boston fronts for the rear 7.1 surround channels once I've replaced them with something better. Then someday, I'll replace the remaining Bostons.... 1 set at a time probably :D

I went to Good Guys with my wife and baby this weekend and listened to the Klipsch 35s. I had heard good things about these speakers and knew they were in my price/physical space limitation range so I wanted to hear them. When I asked the sales person to switch it to another speaker set-up, he hit the button, left the room, and never returned.... Of course, no sound ever came out... So we left... without really comparing... Very aggravating...

So I guess I just need a starting frame of what brands to try out and which ones to not waste my time on.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Do you like the sound of the Klipsch? How long did you listen to them, and did you bring along any demo material that you're familiar with, so you could see if those speakers sounded good to you? I would definitely suggest visiting another Good Guy or something similar and listen to all the speakers around your budget. Do they have to be floorstanders? If you like the sound of the Klipsch (and can listen to it for a good amount of time), you might want to check out axiom.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks