Speaker Brands......(long)......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wil_J, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Ok, maybe this is common knowledge to quite a few people here, so please forgive the question.
    I know next to nothing about what kind of speakers are any good in the HT world.
    Since speakers are one of the main (and probably most important) components, I don't want to skimp, but at the same time, I want a good deal (does that even make sense?).
    I have listened to a few kinds already. KLH, as soon as I turned these on, I didn't even bother to find out what model they were. Maybe the problem was the incoming signal, but it didn't sound good to me.
    The JBL 'N' series. I listened to the N26 for a while and liked it a lot. It was really clear and sounded really nice. But without anything to compare it to, I couldn't really form an opinion to well.
    I also listened to some Polk series. Unfortunately I don't know what model what the ones he showed me where, as they were not listed and he did not say. These also had a clear clean sound, but to ME there was something that wasn't there compared to the JBL's.
    My question is this. What are some other speaker brands that I should try and find so I can listen to them?
    Again, I don't know anything about speakers so I don't know a price range to set. The N26's that I saw were $200 per pair, so I would say about no more than $350 per pair.
    Is that a lot to allow for speakers? Is it not a lot? Because, even just spening that much on a single pair will have me saving my money for a while. But if I need to go higher to get some nice quality, I will have one heck of an excersize in patience & will power.
    Suggestions guys?.......Wil
    P.S. Oh yeah, I will be using an Onkyo 494 Receiver. I can't remember if you guys need that or not so I'll just list it anyway. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Wil_J on July 15, 2001 at 11:38 PM]

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

My advice to you would be to decide on your budget and your requirements first. Speakers range from $25/pr to $150,000/pr, and you'll almost certainly find something that fits your requirements. However, you should be clear on what those requirements are.
    * How will they be used? Mostly HT/mosty music/evenly mixed?
    * Room size and amplifier power - are you buying for your current setup, or do you foresee any changes (moving to a larger/smaller room, getting a bigger/smaller amp) in the near future, and you want your speakers to accomodate that?
    And finally, budget. If you're starting to build a serious system (i.e., not something to get you through college or something temporary), I would say spend as much as you can on speakers. The technology used in speakers changes much more slowly than the rest of the electronics, so a good pair of speakers will last you a long time, through several iterations of CD players/receivers/amps.
    I think $350/pr for speakers is a good figure to mate with something like the 494. For that kind of money, I would suggest you give the Paradigm Mini Monitors a listen, as well as some B&W speakers (this is especially true if music is important to you).
    [Edited last by Saurav on July 15, 2001 at 11:53 PM]

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    try klipsch. good bang for buck and are usually sold in best-buy type stores. i've also heard good stuff about http://www.ascendacoustics.com/. i have only seen/heard the top models, but i'm sure they make something that will fit your price range.
    q's about speakers? www.audioreview.com.
    -thomas
    [Edited last by Thomas_Berg on July 16, 2001 at 12:03 AM]

4. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

As far as how they will be used, it will be about a 50/50 mix of music & HT. Music is really important to me, but I like to have a good sounding HT that will impress people that don't really know as much of the fine points of HT like the people here do.
    The ESTIMATED (I had to pace it off, I couldn't find my measuring tape) size is about 18' by 15'
    Thanks again......Wil
    [Edited last by Wil_J on July 16, 2001 at 12:14 AM]

5. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Alot of people like Energy speakers too, but I don't know if there is anything in the range you're talking about that people say is good for music in their lines. Definately not the Take 5 from what I've read, but the e:Xl line may fit your needs.
    I liked the JBL's as well, but since I'm more exclusively using them for home theater I decided to go with the NSP1 package which includes 4 N24 speakers and one N-Center.
    You may want to check out jandr.com because through August 10th they are offering free shipping on all JBL products, so I went ahead and ordered my NSP1 system from them. Other places had the unit itself for cheaper, but they always wanted to charge alot for shipping which canceled out any savings I was getting on the actual speakers. With the reputation JandR seems to have and the free shipping I couldn't pass it up.

6. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm....Any other suggestions?......Wil

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    B&W: Incredible. [​IMG] I'd agree there. Also on price, unless you can find a good deal somewhere. Expensive, but you get what you pay for.
    Paradigm, for the price, can't be beat! 11 years in a row, best in their price class...
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on July 16, 2001 at 01:07 PM]

8. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

As mentioned above, try Klipsch. Most people either love them or hate them. You'll know pretty quickly which camp you're in after a listening session or two. If you love them then you'll be hard pressed to find a better price/performance ratio. I've had Klipsch for over 10 years now and I won't own anything else. There are lots of other excellent speakers out there, a few mentioned here already, and what it'll come down to IMO is preference and budget. Come up with the amount that you'll be comfortable parting with and then start listening. You'll know which one is right for you when you hear it. You may already have with the JBL's. Whatever you do make sure to listen to a number of different speakers. You'd hate to buy the first thing that you listened to and find out later that you missed out on your dream speakers because you didn't bother to drive to the next town over for a demo.
    I think that you'll find a great many fans of Klipsch, Paradigm and B&W here at HTF. These are three great places to start. B&W aren't exactly cheap, relatively speaking.
    ------------------
    You want to upgrade again?!!

9. george king

george king Supporting Actor

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have KEF Q75s for all 5 speakers and most people are blown away
    Have fun!
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..