Speaker Brackets - HELP!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Gary V, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Gary V

Gary V Extra

I am moving into my new house finally! And I have some yamah surround speakers I want to install in my living room (I have a dedicated theater I am working on as well).

So I had the builder add the surround sound option, and what they did was add 5 outlets and ran speaker wire to the TV location. So there is just a blank plate there. Does anyone know of any speaker brackets that go over that plate?

If you don't know what I am talking about, imagine a 110 outlet, but a flat white plate (no holes). I don't want to put the speaker above or to the side, as the speaker isn't big enough to cover it.

I am hoping they sell a bracket that actually screws right into the screw holes of the bracket...if you need a picture, let me know.

Thanks!

2. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

If behind the plate is a standard electrical outlet box I would doubt it is strong enough to hold a speaker. They are not designed to carry any weight. I have never seen a bracket that fits into the outlet box screw holes.

Usually the outlet box is attached to a stud in the well. I would get a true speaker mount bracket and bolt it to the stud. If not then wall anchors will have to do but that also depends on the weight of your surrounds.

3. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Did your builder run the cable to a standard electrical outlet box? Home Depot sells a kit that has multiple inserts and different posts for the speakers. (Spring clips, binding posts etc...)
    Also Radio Shack sells pre-made switchplates the same way/binding posts or spring clips, but you will have to have the outlet boxes to screw into

4. Gary V

Gary V Extra

Yes it is a standard electrical box. The speakers are not that heavy, as they are small Yamaha's.

I have some brackets from my previous residence, but I don't want the electrical plate to show, as I would have to mount the speaker above/below/left/right of the plate. It would look odd.

Kevin G, can you give me a little more detail about what you mentioned? Any links or pictures on the web?

Thanks.

5. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

6. Gary V

Gary V Extra

Thats what I am planning on using behind the TV to run wires to the amp.

But the dilemma is still mounting the speakers. I guess there is no perfect way. The best way would have been for the builder to just poke a hole and stick the wires out I guess.

Thanks!

7. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

You mean he didn't install outlet boxes where the speaker wires end up at?
    there are also two-terminal versions of these plates
    or are you just saying that you dont like the looks of the wall plates?

8. keoni

keoni Agent

It sounds like you have blank plates temporarily covering the tucked in speaker wire inside. It also sounds like no terminal plates where installed meaning you have to buy your own. I would get the five way binding post variety if your set on it. I have exaxtly what you have except instead of prettying it up I got a blank switchplate, drilled a hole in the center of it the diameter of the wire, and ran the speaker wire directly out of it into the speaker. This eliminats the need or "want" of interconnect and still looks very nice. You will need to buy speaker mounts that go strait into a stud or anchor, there is no way I know that you can attach the speaker mount directly to the electrical box, and/or cover the wall plate. you may paint it to match the wall paint but thats it. The electrical box inside the wall isnt designed to support any more weight than what a hanging cord would supply.

9. Gary V

Gary V Extra

Keoni,

you said you drilled a hole in the switchplate and stuck the wire out and ran it into the speaker. Now this will be a little difficult, by try to vision this:

When you run the wire out of the speaker, where is your speaker in relation to the switchplate cover? Ideally the speaker would go smack dab in the middle, over the switchplate cover. So when you anchored the speaker into the sheetrock or a stud, did you do it to the top, bottom, left or right of the switchplate?

I think the only option will be to paint the switchplate to have it hide, since it looks like I can't mount the speaker directly over it.