What's new

Speaker Blowout Question (1 Viewer)

vitoF

Auditioning
I have a Yamaha HTR 5830 A/V receiver. 550 total watt, 110W per channel. A friend of mine gave me a 5.1 speaker system. 150 total watt, 50W sub, 20W satelites. Will I blow out these speakers if I connect them to my receiver?

DavidSGT

Stunt Coordinator
Hiya,

Simple answer No, but if it makes you feel better take it slow first with the volume/gain control

Regards.
David

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I guess I have a similar question since I have 100w satellite speakers and 100w center speaker, and 100w sub. I am planning to buy one of those Pioneer Elite receivers which outputs 140w per channel, but I am afraid to blow out the speaks.

I know that someone already said that it is not a problem, but I would love to hear a technical a reason why it will not blow out the speakers, and what I need to do to keep my speaker within a save volume audio range.

Thanks,
orestes

mylan

Screenwriter
You will not blow the speakers using a 140W receiver. Speakers are usually rated conservatively and can take much more than they are rated just as long as it is clean power. Also the receiver will not output 140W at all times.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
because the high frequency content in most music is really not that high. However, if the amplifier is driven into distortion, high frequency elements added to the signal-- which mean that a lot more power must be dissipated by the tweeter. Many tweeters can't handle anything beyond 10 watts, or so..

Few speakers (the exceptions are active) are rated in terms of watts. Some are accompanied by "recommended power" ratings, but these are often wide ranging. Sensitivity is a bit more important. A 93 db/W speaker simply does not require as many watts as a 84 db/W speaker.

On another note, I sense that perhaps you're trying to recycle old HTiB speakers with a brand spanking new receiver. You might get better results if you went with "moderately priced receiver + moderately priced speakers", rather than with "expensive receiver + old, recycled speakers". Try to audition both before slapping down that credit card.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
My understanding is that speakers are most readily damaged by driving an amplifier into "clipping", which means turning the volume up so high that the amp goes into severe distortion.

The reason you are less likely to blow your speakers is because a higher powered amp is less likely to be driven to the clipping point as it will deliver plenty of clean power that will satisfy your volume needs before going into clipping.

With a lower powered amp you are more tempted to turn up the volume into clipping levels.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Thanks for all those explanations. BTW, my original set up was a Denon AVR-3300 with Energy Take-5 speakers and Engergy sub, all rated as 100w speakers, and I don't think they are old. I am planning to replace my 3300 Denon with a Pioneer Elite unit which outputs 130w per channel. At this moment, I got no receiver at home for the 3300 Denon is in a repair shop, but I am seriously thinking of a replacement.

Thanks again.

Regards,
orestes

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks