What's new

Speaker and Subwoofer upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Geoff Gunnell

Stunt Coordinator
Your electronics will match well with the B&W 600 series, which I personally have always prefered to the Paradigms.
I agree that the larger center is worth the extra outlay unless you are pairing with the 601's as mains.
I've not been that impressed with the 675 (auditioned only in dealer showrooms) compared to the SVS Plus or Ultra (which I've owned) -- search the audio forums for "SVS AND 675" and see what you find :)
HOWEVER
A LOT depends on the size of your room, how loud you want it to be, what mains you end up with, what movies / music you listen to. If, for example, all you listen to is cocktail jazz at moderate volume in a not-too-large room the 675 makes more sense.

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies everyone.

So I think I have decided on a sub it either will be the PB12-NSD/2 or the HS VTF-3 MK 2.

Any thoughts?

Also, I was thinking maybe of upgrading my HK 5620 to the ROTEL 1068, but I was wondering if I should wait a bit more until the HD DVD players come down in price.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Go SVS! even if it costs a bit more. You will love that PB12. I have the Ultra of that model and its a "10" for a pretty good sized room.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Bob,

If the VTF-3 is one of the subs you'll consider, the more appropriate SVS there would be the PB12-NSD/V (though we're about to discontinue that sub probably).

There will be a new PB12-NSD soon enough, that, while not with variable tuning, it'll be what we put forth as the industry standard for performance under $1,000. But it'll be $600 ;^)

Having said that, the NSD/2 (we shorten everything around here since we're such poor typists) is a monster. Essentially it's two PB12-NSD subs, so all things considered, you would need, roughly, two of the VTF-3's to be roughly comparable (just as the single woofer PB12-NSD/V and the VTF-3 might be considered roughly comparable. Of course maybe you meant "Two" of them in your note above.

If you have a big space, or just want very powerful and deep bass, the NSD/2 is a great choice (not that two VTF-3 wouldn't be too).

Ron
SVS

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
That makes sense Rob and I really do like the look of SVS sub and what it will do.

Can you get me a good deal on the PB12-NSD/2? ;)

Shane Harg

Second Unit
That's why I usually turn the sub's level down a notch after calibration. This creates better balance (to me) and compensates for "hot" soundtracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks