Speaker and Subwoofer upgrade?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bob_Lawrance, May 23, 2006.

1. Bob_Lawrance

Bob_Lawrance Stunt Coordinator

I have been thinking of upgrading my speakers to either the Monitor Silver RS seriers or the B&W 600 Series. I have heard both, but still unsure what to buy. Any thoughts?

Also, I have been thinking of pruchasing a SVS sub instead of the subwoofer you can get with the above systems. Any thoughts?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd definitely be looking SVS for sub vs the other two.

The first thing is, what is your budget?

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'm not familiar with those Monitor speakers, but the B&W 600 series is pretty good. One thing to note is that the LCR600 seems to be significantly better than the LCR60 for the center channel.

I would definitely go with SVS above the other subs being considered here as you really have to get to the 800 series of B&W to compete with most of the SVS offerings.

4. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i'd separate both purchasing decisions. i'd go with B&W 600 series for speakers and SVS subs. of course, most of the people here's just gonna' tell you to listen to it yourself and let you decide.

the reason why i decided on B&W for speakers is cause movie+music studios use them as references. i figure that getting trickle down technology is great for reproducing what they were trying to create in the studios =). the second reason i took my familiar movie&music and auditioned several brands before deciding on it.

subs, i went with velodyne cause i auditioned it same with regular speakers. i liked velodyne's lack of definition and its boomy bass [​IMG].

5. Bob_Lawrance

my budjet is about $6000 canadian.

I am using a HK 520 for my Pre and a ROTEL RMB-1075 for my amp.

Does that help?

6. John Garcia

John
    Since you're in Canada, you may also want to look at HSU Research for subs, as they have Canadian distributors - SVS are great, but you may have to pay a bit more for one up there.

Also being up north, maybe you'll want to consider some other Canadian speakers - Paradigm, Mirage, PSB, Axiom, etc...

7. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I have the B&W DM600 S3s all the way around in 7.1 with the LCR60. That center works great for me, but my room is fairly small, too. Great system. Love it!

I personally prefer the smoother sound of sealed sub designs, like the B&W ASW675 (a damn fine sub with over 500 watts of power, but not cheap), over the hard hitting sound of ported designs, like the SVS series, but that's just me.

8. Bob_Lawrance

oh oh, more selections to think about.

I have not heard of HSU research before. Is there a difference between them and SVS?

9. Bob_Lawrance

my room is easily 20 by 20,

10. John Garcia

John
    My room is 19x20 and if you're looking for solid bass, you're going to want a decent sub. HSU is also another mostly direct company similar to SVS that provide a solid product. I've owned subs from both and I like both companies.

I like the B&Ws too, just offering some other options. I like the LCR600 with 602 s3s up front.

Damn Oilers....[​IMG] (Sharks didn't seem to play with their whole heart the last few games)

11. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    are there still closed box subs being mfr?

12. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Absolutely! The ASW675, which I already mentioned, is a sealed design and I personally own the KEF PSW2500, also a sealed design.

Sealed or closed box subs are not as common as ported subs, because most people want subs with which they can shake the foundation of their house while watching LOTR. I keep my sub's level lower than probably most HT enthusiasts, because strong bass is not as important to me as is a good balance. I also listen to a lot of music for which sealed subs generally provide better accuracy. But sealed subs also demand a much more powerful amp in order to go as low as their ported counterparts, which also means that they are usually more expensive - another reason for the low demand.

13. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i thought sealed boxes shook more than ported?

14. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

If they have enough power behind them, they will.

Edit:
    Sealed designs generally exhibit tighter, punchier bass and usually come in smaller cabinets, but they require more power to really get things shaking and to get them down into 15-20Hz territory, like ported subs.

15. Bob_Lawrance

How do you tell if a sub it ported or sealed?

16. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

It should be listed somewhere in the specs or description of the sub. If you are looking at a sub in person, ports are generally on the back and are simply holes into the box of the subwoofer. Occasionally these could be on the front as well.

17. Bob_Lawrance

Does anyone know where i can buy b&w speakers online?

18. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

B&W does not allow on-line sales. If you find some they won't be covered by a B&W waranty.

19. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I thought when we calibrate out theaters that we're aiming for balance? I can't help it if a studio mixes a few tracks hotter than they should be.

Back to the topic I think the SVS is an excellent sub (own an older model) but another cheap good sealed sub to consider is the Adire Rava if it can be found, I built a similar sealed sub with the Shiva driver and this sub would be good for medium to small rooms.

20. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    ebay, but like chris says, no cover under warranty. but the prices are nice =). i've gotten a few DM302's from ebay for $100-150. it's a steal for small 2 speaker music-sets for the kitchen and stuff. ironically, it's cheaper than LM1 and the bunny tail series.