What's new

Speaker and room setup help (1 Viewer)

Matt

Grip
I have a few questions on how to set up my room. Here is a drawing of the room I have to work with (and how it is currently set up).

SUB = Subwoofer
S = Speakers
DVD = Receiver/DVD Player/CD Player/VCR
The red area on the top view is where the angled ceiling is cut out for a window that is against that outside wall. The green areas on the top view are doors (as is the side view). From what I have read here, I would be better off moving the speakers/TV/etc to the right side of the room (turn everything 90 degrees to the right). I will have to do some wiring, but that isn't a big deal. Do you think that would produce a better set up?
Also, the TV is a Hitachi 32 inch and I am wondering how high people usually have their TV off of the floor? I need to watch the height because of the angle of the ceiling (my Center channel sits on top of the TV).
How high do you place the rear speakers? I have read that it is best to put them to the side, but should they be the 2 or 3 feet above the listening area?
The two front speakers are the Inifinity IL40's, with the IL36C Center and IL120 Subwoofer. The two rears are IL10's. I have the Avia CD and the Ratshack SPL meter to help calibrate.
As this is my first full setup, any suggestions are welcome.
Matt

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I would definatly turn everything to the right.
Issues that I see in the current setup that you will want to resolve:
You left and right front speakers should be the same distance for the TV and about the distance your left front is.
When you turn the room, plae the couch centered between the walls, and 12"-18" away from the back wall if you can. This way you will have a better rear soundfield and you will not be hearing reflections from the wall directly.
3 options for the rears:
1- Dolby suggests that you place the rears exactly to the sides of the listening area, about 2-3 feet above earlevel facing directly at each other. This has a great effect, but Like this:
[]-> Couch

Matt

Grip
Thank you for the suggestions. Because of the window area, facing the rears straight up is not an option as one would be hitting a flat ceiling area and another hitting the angle. Looking at it, it looks like the best solution is putting them up on the wall like Dolby suggests. Only problem I can see with that is the couch will be about 3 feet away from the wall. I don't think it will be a problem, but I guess I will have to listen and see how it sounds.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks