speaker and receiver configuration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronneil Camara, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

hey guys,

i'm new to HTs. I am planning to set this up. What do you think about my combinations?

fronts: Paradigm ATOM
    rears : Paradigm MICRO
    center: Paradigm CC-70
    subs : PDR-8

receiver: Yamaha rx630

Thanks.

Neil

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

[​IMG] GREAT entry-level system. Although, the titans might be better for the front, and they are only about $40 more. I have a pair of titans and they are EXTREMELY nice for the money. If you go with titans, though the center might need a little upgrade. In all though, thats a nice system.

3. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I will go with the TITAN. So what now should be the model for my center speaker?
    And is the yamaha receiver good too?
    And also, the price that was quoted to me for all of this was in the range of $1250 - $1350. Is the price ok or high?
    Thanks again. [​IMG]
    Neil

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I glanced around, i think they CC-170 would be ok, althought the cc-270 would be even better if you could sprign for that, i think it would be at par with the titans, with the same-sized drivers. The 170 has the drivers from the atoms. They are priced i think around 200, and 280 respectively. I wouldn't go for the 70... it just looks way too little and too cheesy and a good center is important. Price-wise, i dont know what the receiver is, but the titans are like $229, atoms $180, micros $150, you have the center prices except the 70, which i would recommenc against anyway. The micros would be ok for surround, but they really do have bass deficiency, they are just too small. Still, i think money upgrading the front is MUCH better IMO. I am not familiar with yamaha, but they get strong reviews here, so I don't think you can go wrong with the yamaha. At a budget level, the yamaha is on par with the budget denons, marantz etc. I grabbed a quick MSRP on the yamaha at $499.00. Seems reasonable to me. So, lets see what that adds up to... With titans and the better 270 center, atoms in the rear, PDR-8 ($299) and staying with the yamah... about 1487 so says my computer calculator [​IMG] If you are dealing with a friendly Paradigm dealer that you trust, I'd stay with this speaker setup, you may pinch some on the center if needed, or add to the sub. Where you may want to shop around is the receiver. It seems the consensus is that yamaha can be fine for movies, but its coldness/brightness (whatever THATS supposed to mean) is bad for music. Perhaps the marantz 4300, or an outgoing 5200 at a good bargain would be nicer, or of course denon. I've not really been impressed with Paradigm's subs, except the servo 15 wich is about the cost of your total budget so far [​IMG], so you can always mix another brand of sub in there.

5. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I wouulld and have used tthe Titan on all stations including center, I think it will surprise you how well it does att center, cheaper too.
    Also IMO I think HK does better than Yamaha on Paridigms.
    To this day I dont use a dedicated ceenter now I use NHT Super Ones on all corners including center. I have used DTs, Paridigm, Polk,Klipsch centers I think the Forwardness of the Klipsch was best , however I now preefer using all the same speakers, much simplarJMO