What's new

Speaker Advice (1 Viewer)

Chris_Coburn

Auditioning
What effect would it have if I were to create a recessed shelf within the wall to place my front speakers in as opposed to placing them on speaker stands are wall mount?

The max speaker depth is almost 9" so obviously they be not flush mount but the majority of the speaker would be in the wall and about 3" or so sticking out from the wall.

Would this cause any problems? I am guessing yes....

Brian E

Screenwriter
I don't know much about this, but my thinking would tell me it would tend to "suffocate" the speaker somewhat. Of course like I said I don't know much about this, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with a good answer.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's a matter of degrees.

A given speaker will sound BEST if it is pulled 2-3 feet into the room and 2-3 feet away from any rear/side reflecting surface.

It sounds ok pushed closer.

And a good speaker will still be a good speaker flush-mounted in a wall, or sticking out as you proposed.

It just wont be optimal. Somtimes having the "built-in" look is worth the bit of fidelity loss.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A chief complaint of in-wall speakers is reduced imaging. I would expect this applies to any regular speaker that would be flush mounted.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks