Speaker Advice (Thanks in Advance)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark Methenitis, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Mark Methenitis

Mark Methenitis Auditioning

Nov 12, 2002
    So I'm finally getting around to building my home theater. I'm about to go pick up my 32" Panasonic Tau and a pioneer 811. So I need some speakers to go with them. I have a few options, I'm looking to top out at about $300 on speakers for now, I can go a little higher than that though.

Option 1:
    I just get 2 fronts a center and a sub and use some KLHs I have laying around as rears. (If you remember, the KLH bookshelves with 8" woofers that got clearanced at Best Buy for $20) Then wait on replacing those rears.

Option 2:
    Get a whole set, probably lower quality.

I went out and listened to that Onkyo speaker package (the 6.1 one) today and I was totally unimpressed. They had an overly tinny sound on the high notes. So here's what I'm looking for: something for music, gaming, and movies. I heard the JBL NSPs, but after living with my roommate (who has JBL s26s), it leaves a little to be desired on the music side. However, to get the S26s then I'd have to go with the first option. I also need advice on subs, keeping with the price structure. I know there's a sony that a lot of people liked, but it's either been updated or something as I haven't seen that exact sub around anywhere lately.

Thanks in advance for the help, you guys always know your stuff.
  2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Nov 21, 2001
    I'd look at the online companies for some pretty darn good speakers at a more than reasonable price. Might go some over three hundred dollars, but, over the long run, I'd think you'd really appreciate the choice.

I'll link you to Ascend as they seem to have some deal where you buy part of a package now and get the rest at some later date. In other words, you get a package deal, but don't have to buy the whole package at one time.

Here you go
  3. Dennis Ellis

Dennis Ellis Stunt Coordinator

Jan 2, 2001
    lots of people have recommended AR hc6 package. Best Buy online has them for $300.00 I think.