Speaker advice needed please.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Craig*C, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Craig*C

Craig*C Auditioning

I think I'm in the right forum, but if I'm not, please accept my apologies.

I recently decided that I wasn't spending enough money restoring old cars so I decided to edge myself a little closer to complete financial ruin by building a proper home theater (as opposed to the 32 inch TV with bose acoustimass 10 system I was using).

I bought myself an LCD projector, 100 inch screen, and Denon receiver to enhance my experience...but here is my question for the people who actually know something about this.

I have a large (16 x 20 foot) room dedicated to this theater and decided to save a little cash by using my old acoustimass 10 system. For those unfamiliar, this is the bose system with five double cube speakers and bass module. I am now very disappointed that my sound just is not as big as my image so I've been trying to figure out a way to make more moise and stretch any dollars I have left.

My original plan centered on the purchase of a mid-priced Sub and center channel speaker and then eliminating the bass module from my bose system and connecting the remaining cube speakers directly to the receiver. I would also be purchasing an economically priced speaker to use a center surround speaker so I could make a 6.1 system out of my 5.1 (my receiver can handle 7.1).

Now I'm starting to wonder if my money would not be better spent buying a very good sub and keepng the Bose Bass module to handle the lower frequencies between what the cubes and the sub can handle. I would stiil be purchasing a CS speaker...but this might allow me to buy something alittle better.

What do you all think about my plan? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yup, adding a real sub would definitely help the Bose system. They have really pitiful bottom end. Do a search on our Speakers and Subwoofers Forum for SVS and HSU to get info on some great subs that offer a lot of value for the dollar.

By the way, what kind of cars to you restore? I have a vintage 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am myself.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Craig*C

Craig*C Auditioning

Currently working on a '70 Dodge Charger R/T. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

4. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

I agree with Wayne, adding a subwoofer will definately offset the bass deficiences of your existing system.

If you have the funds, look into a servoposition feedback subwoofer.

5. Bo-Cephus

Bo-Cephus Agent

Hello,
    As a newbie to serious HT (but always a wannabe), I embarked on a similar path. I started with a pretty good TV at the time, but then went for an Acoustimass 12 (similar to 10 but with enhanced sub) package. When I decided to upgrade my audio, I "upgraded" to the acoustimass 16 (6.1 setup). I realized the error of my ways, and finally did some real research, not just going to the Bose showroom. I'm upgrading to a standard HT speaker setup (B&W 600 series).
    The reason I'm saying all this is that going to the B&W's cost about as much as the acoustimasss 16 system (though as a caveat some of my purchases are from Ebay). Not that you need to get B&W's, but from what I've read on this forum and heard for myself in real life it may be worthwhile to sell the bose stuff and get a more conventional HT setup - it may be around the same price, and it will be easier to upgrade in the future if you wish to.

But since I'm new others may have more educated opinions on this than mine.

6. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Craig,
    I would consider replacing your fronts and center too. Those bose speakers are nice for small rooms, but to fill more than 2000ft3 of space you will need a little more than 4" boxes. A sub would help but balance is key to a good sound. You NEED some good midrange drivers for your front and center at the very least. Especially if you listen to music at all.
    You don't have to get a high dollar sub, $300-$400 will buy plenty for that size room.
    Everyone on the boards likes SVS and HSU, others to consider would be Klipsch and Dif Tech.

7. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

In the long run, I think the best choice is to sell the Bose system and replace it with the best 3.1 or 5.1 system you can afford. You can then buy more surround speakers as money allows. Hopefully, that will prevent the need to buy an interim system that you will only later throw away and replace with something better.

Also, from what I have read, I believe you risk damaging your Bose speakers if you connect them directly to your receiver. I think they need to operate through the bass module.

8. Bo-Cephus

Bo-Cephus Agent

That,s right, good point. From when I've talked to the Bose folks w/my stuff, they said "these [cubes] weren't intended to handle bass - that's what the sub is for". I believe they said that would even void the warranty if not run through the sub, though in a rear setup damaging the cubes is a little less likely (how much less I'm not certain).

9. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I recall hearing that running the cubes directly from a receiver risks blowing them, even if used as surrounds. The cubes are apparently not designed to reproduce as wide a frequency range as a regular speaker and can thus easily be damaged if operated as one.