What's new

speaker advice for home theater (1 Viewer)

rdb1960

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I've had a home theater system (using the term loosely) for a while that consisted of an inexpensive Kenwood receiver, an ancient pair of BSR main speakers, and a set of Bose center channel & surrounds (VCS-10, and a pair of 161's). The receiver died, and the old BSR speakers were damaged by roof leaks in Hurricane Dolly, so I'm rebuilding and trying to do some significant upgrades.

I've purchased a Denon AVR-988 receiver, and am looking at Klipsch reference series speakers. I was considering either the RF-62's or RF-82's as my main left & right front speakers, with an RW-12D sub. I've heard that Klipsch is famous for very efficient speakers that don't require a lot of power to generate lots of sound, but the local Klipsch dealer says he doesn't think my AVR-988 has enough power for me to even consider the RF-82's and recommends I stick to RF-62's unless I want to invest in a more powerful amp. So my first question is whether 110 watts/channel is sufficient for the 82's or whether you guys think the dealer is right in suggesting I stick with the 62's.

Second question is opinions on Klipsch's matching center & surround speakers for this system (RC-62 and RS-52).

Being new to anything above a very basic consumer level electronics, I'm not familiar with most of the better quality or high end brands, and Klipsch was one of the few names I recognized.

Your thoughts on all of the Klipsch products I've mentioned or whether there's another brand in a similar price range that I should consider would be appreciated. I'm trying to keep my total speaker budget under $3,000. Listening room is 12'x16' in the seating area (living room), narrowing to 12'x12' to the rear (adjoining dining room), with an 8' ceiling height throughout. The rear surrounds are mounted (or at least they have been in the past) high on the back wall of the dining room, +/- 12' behind my usual seating position.

I should mention that I will also be using the system to listen to music, and my musical tastes include everything from classical symphonic music to rock & roll and just about anything in between.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
110w/channel can easily drive any speaker that Klipsch makes. Paul Klipsch used 35w amps when listening to his massive Klipshorns. Did you get a chance to audition the speakers? Speaker selection is very personal. Some people call Klipsch speakers crisp while others call them harsh. It all depends on your your preferences.

As for alternatives, there are dozens. Most of the ones I am familiar with are internet direct brands like ED, AV123 and SVS. Even if you decide to go with the Klipsch speakers, you should seriously consider NOT getting the RW-12D sub. You can get much more sub for the money by going internet direct.

-Robert

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Have you listened to the Klipsch? Any other brands? Speaker choice is very personal. Take your time and audition as many brands as possible.

For the sub, I suggest you look at SVS no matter what speaker you go with.

rdb1960

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Thanks to the two early replies. I have listened to the RF-62's. The local dealer didn't have any 82's set up, but volunteered that if I wanted to make an appointment to bring my Denon AVR-988 to their store, they would hook it up to the 62's and to a pair of 82's for me to hear them hooked to my receiver. My visit to the store was spur of the moment, so I didn't have any of my own music with me to listen to, and the dealer didn't have any classical music on hand for demo purposes.

The local Klipsch dealer carries some much less expensive stuff, but the only only other higher end brand that they carry is B&W, which they tell me is higher priced high end stuff and therefore probably out of my budget. To my knowledge, the only other home audio stores within 100 miles of my location are places like Circuit City and Best Buy, and they don't carry anything that compares to Klipsch reference series, so it's hard for me to actually listen to anything else in this price range without doing some serious travel--hence my posting here for advice.

If I were to find another home audio dealer (Corpus Christi may have a wider selection 120 miles away or San Antonio 250 miles), are there any brands in particular that I'm likely to find and that you recommend I look at in this price range? Are there other brands that I'm likely to come across in stores that will give me better bang for the buck at similar or better quality? I might be more included to do the travel if I knew in advance what I'm looking for so that I could locate dealers and call to see what they had in stock for demo purposes.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Try out the forum at AV123 and you may find someone locally that will let you have an in-home audition. Both SVS and AV123 have in-home trials and you are only out shipping. I have read postings from very few people who have returned either unless they wanted to upgrade.

The sub should be tailored to your room and listening habits. What sized room? Closed or open floorplan? Material - music/movies percentage of each? What types of movies? How loud do you listen (based on reference calibrated levels)? Most of us get as much sub as possible because when you tend to listen at higher levels when the system sounds good. Action movies can give a sub a workout and you don't want to push them to their limits.

-Robert

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
B&W 683's should be in your price range. Doesn't hurt to check them out. If you like them, perhaps give Axiomaudio.com a trial in your home. IMO, the Axioms sound very similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks