Speaker advice! Axiom choice with SVS ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marcus Lewis, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

OK I've decided Axiom's are the speaker for me.

I have a Rotel RSX 965 Receiver (150w per ch or 75w RMS per ch) and a 16-46CS+ with S1000...I'm ordering the 2nd 16-46 soon.

Anyway my goal is even more impact for HT as I'm 40%HT/40%Xbox/20%music. Ground shuddering impact... I'm a total bass feak apparently.

Looking at my goals, would it be advantageous to use Axiom M60/80 up front set as large with my subs? or stick to the M22's up front set as small with the subs for best effect?

Thanks in advance, all opinions welcome.

2. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

I believe some people like the greater impact up front with larger towers more so for 2 channel stereo listening. For home theater the results are probably less discernable. I personally have Axiom M50Ti's up front, with M3's in the rears and VP100 in the center with a Pinnacle Digital Sub 350 for LFE, and am very much happy with it; as has been everyone else I've demoed the system for.
    The M50's can shake the floor quite a bit, but with the addition of the sub I did end up setting them to small. As the M60's and M80's are 3-way and can dip lower, you might be happier with them on the large setting.
    You've definitely got the LFE handled though with dual SVS's [​IMG]
    Good luck anyway you go; you'll love the Axiom's. I know I love mine.

3. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply bud, but I'm still undecided ... Anyone else??

4. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Marcus,
    I like having the flexibility of tower mains. The M60s can be run as large or small and will sound great either way. As Dan says, you can get quite a bit of floor shake with just the mains.. as I've accidentally discovered from time to time when I forget to flip a switch and leave the sub off.
    Still, I wouldn't be without my 20-39cs. [​IMG]
    I haven't done much experimentation with large/small settings and pretty much leave them on small for HT duty. That seems to be a general consensus by many knowledgeable HT members.
    Although your HT bass reqt's will be more than met with dual 16-46cs's, you may still like to listen to some 2 channel music.
    I can't compare the M22s since I've never heard them.