Speaker Accuracy Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Flink, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

In light of the SVS vs. Velodyne debate currently raging I was wondering about the meaning of speaker accuracy. Would a speaker that is 100% accurate have a "test tone" straight line response across all frequencies? Realizing that in the real world, room characteristics and speaker placement will greatly impact speaker performance and speaker preference is very subjective, our particular passion for one piece of HT gear or another is ultimately based upon personal preference (however misguided or unscientific). Speakers which look very good on paper may not "sound" as good as others that may be less "accurate". Specs are helpful but not the be-all-end-all.

Both SVS and Velodyne have very good "numbers". Each has a different approach to the same end.

And I love my SVS 20-39CS (with upgraded driver).

2. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Terry---It's hard to define accuracy much less build it. Too many tradeoffs. One guy likes a sealed woofer because it can have better transient response, another guy likes vented because it has lower distortion. Who can say which is the proper way to go? One guy is sensitive to one kind of flaw and another guy is sensitive to some other flaw. And when you get into radiation pattern---Christ, that's a can of worms. Some designers believe in monopoles with controlled dispersion, others believe in dipoles, some don't try to control dispersion at all. Does flat frequency response mean accuracy? Flat response on axis or flat power response? What about a speaker with flat response on-axis but high levels of distortion and severely compressed dynamics? Obviously not accurate. Since no speaker is perfect and there's not even an agreement on what a perfect speaker should do it's totally up to you. You buy the speaker that has the deficiencies least objectionable to YOU.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Speaker accuracy can be very subjective. One person may think Klipsch speakers are the most accurate speakers out there. I can't stand the horn sound so while they may be "accurate" they will never sound good to me. Even the material the speaker cabinets are made of will impact the sound (ceramic versus wood - same drivers). The cabinet design will also impact the sound, not to mention what type of speaker it is (electrostatic/planer/direct radiating/etc.). Then you add in the room and the characteristics of the room and listening tastes of the individual and you end up with a hodgepodge of what accurate is.

All that being said, the most accurate speaker out there will not allow the cabinet nor driver to color the sound in any way, shape, or form and will sound good at any volume level. The best speaker out there will also do 20 - 20,000Hz + or - 0.5db. Suffice to say, something like that (if it even exists) is far beyond most peoples price range, myself included.

4. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

BryanZ

You are right, still, what Tom Brennan and Terry Flink are saying its very true. There are always tradeoffs, and room acoustics are, at least, as important as the speakers themselfs when we speak about the "accuracy" of the reproduction.

In my view, in fact, room acoustics and speaker location are the most important factors in audio reproduction. Most of the people will buy the best speakers they can, or the best cables and amplifiers, without being aware that poor location or room acoustics will DESTROY the sound that their equipment is able to achive.

And also, we most remember that we can improve the sound of our system just by relocating it, by taking care of the specific acoustics of our room.

Achieving good acoustics is a very complex task, and should be done with scientific methodologies, which of course is not what happens in the real world.

5. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit