What's new

SPDIF settings..Need help (1 Viewer)

Richard_s

Second Unit
I just got a new DVD player. It is the Philips DVD724AT progressive Scan and can play all of the encodings I am learning how to use (VCD, SVCD, CVD etc). Now this unit has settings I have no idea how to set.
My receiver is the Yamaha HTR-5550
There are two settings for the SPDIF in the DVD player:
SPDIF OUT: RAW or PCM I have no idea which setting is best/correct how do I determine this?
LPCM 96K: OFF(never used) ON (chosen Automatically)
Now the DVD manual states that the higher the sampling rate the better the sound and some sourses are at the 96K level so it seems I would want this ON. The problem is that the manual for my Receiver states that the unit can handle the 96Khz sampling Digital signals with the following restrictions:
1) DSP Programs cannot be used
2) Sound will be output as 2 channel stereo from only the left and right main channels (subwoofer also if set to small). Therefore the level of effects can not be adjusted while listening to such a source.
What kind of sources have the sampling rate at the 96khz level? Why would I want to restrict any source to be forced to stereo when I have DD5.1 and DPLII? Can't figure out what setting should be used but there must be some advantage to using the 96khz setting or it would not exist but why use it?
Thanks ALL

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Richard, I can give you some general answers

Okay, 96/24 recordings have a very high bit rate. As far as I know, you cannot squeeze 5 channels of 96/24 quality sound through the SPDIF, hence only 2 channels. Now, if you were adamant about using your DSP modes, two things would happen. First, the player will reduce the bit rate from 96/24 to (whatever your player sets it to. I'm not sure if this is player-specific.) Secondly, the DSP mode will further "modify" the signal so that you get your "THEATER/JAZZ ROOM/STADIUM"

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Richard, I can give you some general answers

Okay, 96/24 recordings have a very high bit rate. As far as I know, you cannot squeeze 5 channels of 96/24 quality sound through the SPDIF, hence only 2 channels. Now, if you were adamant about using your DSP modes, two things would happen. First, the player will reduce the bit rate from 96/24 to (whatever your player sets it to. I'm not sure if this is player-specific.) Secondly, the DSP mode will further "modify" the signal so that you get your "THEATER/JAZZ ROOM/STADIUM" sound effect. You trade sound quality for sound effects. Again, you would have to purchase a 96/24 disc, and listen to it with both settings to see if you have a preference (though I would add my opinion that, were you to prefer the DSP mode, you'd be better off buying the regular CD version, rather than buy the 96/24 version and subsequently reduce the playback quality. It would be akin to buying a Porsche, and never shifting above third gear.)

Hope this helps. Sorry I can't remember more specifics at this time.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The RAW setting allows the player to output soundtracks in their native digital format. This the setting you want to use, as your receiver includes internal DTS/Dolby Digital processing.

The PCM setting prompts the player to convert any Dolby Digital soundtrack present into a conventional PCM soundtrack through the digital output. With your system, this is unnecessary. Either setting will allow the player to output PCM soundtracks as PCM, but only a handful of discs include PCM (every DVD must include either a PCM or Dolby Digital soundtrack, but Dolby Digital is by far the most common format). Simply set the output to RAW and forget about it; there should never be any need to change it.

The LPCM 96K ON/OFF mode isn't something you're likely to use as very few discs include 24-bit 96kHz soundtracks. These discs are commonly known as DADs: Digital Audio Discs. Only a handful of conventional movie DVDs include this feature (such as New Line's Seven). Uncompressed LPCM 24-bit 96kHz soundtracks on DVD are limited to stereo.

You're unlikely to come across any of these discs (and those that exist often prevent 24/96 output digitally in any case). I would leave it on 'ON' and then forget about it. Neither setting will affect the audio quality of any other type of soundtrack.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks