SPDIF problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I just got a new receiver (my first one) and I connected it to my ATI AIW 8500DV's SPDIF output and with one DVD the receiver didn't seem to detect any signal at all, with another one, the "Surround decoding" LED flashes intermitently and the display recognizes a Dolby Digital signal but there is still no sound and the decoding led just flashes intermitently.

I set the DVD software to use the SPDIF output.

What could be wrong?

Thanks

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Could it be a bad cable?

If it is an optical cable, try reseating both ends, and see if that helps? Establishing a good connection with optical cables is a little harder to do. Also, make sure there is a red light coming out of the cable from the ATI card. Don't look into it directly!

Does the cable work with a regular DVD player?

3. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

It is a coaxial cable, not optical, the same cable works fine on a real DVD player.

I will probably upgrade my PC to have a sound card/motherboard with coaxial and/or optical outputs.

Which is the best between coaxial/optical for sound quality?

4. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Let see...

Re-check your connections again...
    * audio out(sound card SP/DIF) -> audio in(receiver - dvd coaxial)

Set the AUDIO options of your receiver to AUTO - this should enable your receiver to detect the signal.

This should do the trick..

A little caution - if you choose the dts in the audio option of the dvd, nothing's going to come out.

As for coaxial vs. optical, it's personal preference...

Hope this helps,
    -RL-

5. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

Does this mean I can't listen to DTS DVDs from my PC in rel surround???

Is there a solution for this?

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

As far as I know, no onboard S/PDIF output card limits digital output passthrough streams to DD5.1 only. Even the ancient Soundblaster Live! and Aureal cards had this capability.
    My guess is that the drivers are at fault, or that there is a hidden digital output checkbox you missed. Check the volume control panel, maybe in the Advanced Settings? Or the driver properties in the Device Manager?
    I also suggest searching google.com for your specific problem, or the hardware enthusiast forums at www.anandtech.com and other such places.
    Are you running the latest ATI drivers for that card?
    Do you get regular windows sounds when not using the PC DVD player? And, what DVD player software are you using?

7. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I did have the digital output enabled, I fixed the problem by a very strange way. There is no audio output at all until I fast forward or rewind for a second then then resume playback, then the sound comes!

At least I found the solution until I get a sound card with a digital output.

The digital output on my video card only works for DVDs

Thanks

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I had symptoms similar to what you describe in your first message when using the ATI DVD Player, although I'm using the optical on my soundcard, not the coax on the 8500DV's breakout module. I also had no sound on the initial menu, but it would kick in when I chose a submenu. Switching to PowerDVD 4 solved the problem. The DD now works consistently.

You might want to try downloading the trial versions of PowerDVD and WinDVD (and others) to see if they work better.

//Ken

9. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

If you read my last post you can see I found a solution, but I think the SPDIF on the 8500DV only works with the ATI program.

If you know a way to make it work with PowerDVD please let me know.

Thanks