Spawn

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Does anyone remember that animated series Spawn on HBO? I never read the comics and I didn't like the feature film at all, but the TV show was awesome. I used to catch some episodes here and there, but haven't seen until last Sunday night in the middle of the night. It was an episode I had never seen before, and it appears that I missed a lot of stuff.

So what's the deal, here? Are these new episodes, or did I just miss the end of the series? How many seasons were there? Is it finished?

I also saw 3 seasons of it on DVD. Is this the whole series or is there more?

I'm not into anime or comics at all, but this show was so dark and so bad-ass. Lots of fun.

Is the DVD worth buying? That is, if they're making new episodes, I'd rather just wait until they all come out in a nice box set. I also wouldn't buy it if it's edited or botched in some fashion.

2. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Yes I truley do remeber the show, the reason there hasnt been any more eps, is becuase when Todd McFarlane got back the rights for Newline Cinema he couldnt find a studio he liked that would do his show. And that part of there reason why you didnt like the show Todd McFarlane had NO!!! creative control over the movie and that is why it sucked. The charaters where completely changed, one major change and you can tell from the movie and the animated cartoon is that the charaters are all black excpet Burke and Twitch. Newline forced him to make the movie campy and not really as dark as the comic or the animated series. The dvds are definely worth buying go ahead and buy with confidence you will not be disappointed, plus the set inculdes a movie. I hope this explains everything if you have any more question just ask.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thanks, Mike.

So they're not making any new episodes. Does that mean that the show doesn't have a real ending? That is, are there just three seasons, and then the story hangs?

Also, is the TV show the same story as the comic books? If so, I might try to track down the comic book series. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

You said a "movie" comes with the DVD series- which movie?

Now that you mention it, you're right, there are more white characters in the movie than the book. That's just awful.

And it was campy. That's exactly why it was so dumb- they took the heart out of the story.

Well, it looks like I'll be ordering those DVDs, then.

4. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Hello Mike,

I have read the back of the dvd and the description reads that it contains all three seasons and the movie, it is a 4 disc set anyway. What this movie is I do not know for I have not seen it. It might conclude the series, but there has been rumors that the show would return to HBO, but when I do not know.

I have some the comics and it is very close to the series same dark eerie feeling and bloody as hell! The book is very good and It goes into much greater detail, about all the character's. The books should be fairly cheap now since comics are not as popular as they use to be in my opinion. If there are any image comic story lines you cant find or want too know more about I have just about every comic they ever made, so just let me know and I will hook you up.

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I believe the 4-disc "Ultimate Collection" set has the three seasons of the animated series, one on each disc, and a 4th DVD-ROM disc with a Todd McFarlane interview.

DVD Empire has each season for $16, a 2-pack of the first two seasons for $24, and the whole set for $55. So the cheapest deal would be the 2-pack plus the third season.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Amazon has the Ultimate Collection on DVD for 50 bucks, so I'll probably be getting that.

I wonder if the comics was ever put together in a bound book form. Anyone know of a web site I can look this up?

7. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

Mike,

I believe there are several books containing the early issues. I have been collecting the comics from the very beginning and have every issue. The comics are dark, but not as much as the HBO series. If you haven't already you should check out Spawn.com for more info.

8. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

Not trying o thread crap here but there are MUCH better comics out there to "get your feet wet" then SPAWN.

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

10. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

I have only seen the first 10 episodes of the HBO series, so I'm not sure where it ends. But the comic is an ongoing story. Unfortunately lately the storyline has a tendency to meander. The first 30 issues or so were quite good.

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Oh, so it's not over?

Ok, I guess I'm asking to be spoiled, but do Heaven and Hell actually get down to a Big Battle? Does Spawn ever finally make a stand, regain his "soul," anything like that?

12. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

No big battle between Heaven and Hell, not yet. I have to admit though that I haven't read the last 20 or so issues. I continue to collect it, but the storyline hasn't been great. So it piles up while I read other good titles first.

13. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

I think I gave up on the comic around 45 - 50 and was more than a little lost with ALOT of unresolved plots and new ones starting every issue, with (again) no resolution in sight.