Spawn movies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Kousoulas, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I just watched the 1997 live action movie "Spawn" tonight, and since the film leads much to be desired, I'm looking to further the story. I noticed that HBO video has a couple cartoon Spawn titles. Are they direct sequels to the live action flick, and are they worth checking out?

Dean

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I believe you have it backwards. If memory serves, the live action movies came after the animation HBO series. I just bought the animation set but have yet to watch it. Maybe this weekend. [​IMG]

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The animated series, live action movies, and comic books are all basically the same story, but told in different ways to appeal to different audiences. None is a sequel to another. That is, many of the same events take place in all three.

The animated series is an adult program, so it's a lot more gritty and graphic than the movie. I share your opinion about the film, but I absolutely adore the animated show- and I don't even read comic books.

I highly recommed picking up the box set which contains all three seasons.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I thought the animation of the animated series sucked. Every aspect of it was pretty good, but the animation killed it for me. It was also a bit slow and boring in some parts.

5. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

I haven't seen the HBO animated series, but I do have the comic books about #'s 1-55, and they're well worth reading. Great story and great art. I just sort of stopped collecting at some point. The live action movie was, IMHO, beyond terrible. A huge letdown to me, and even without any comparison to the excellent comics, an awful movie on its own.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The style was good, but the framerate was really bad. There is a chance it could have been the copy we have.

8. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I used to be a huge Spawn fan, dug the flick, collected all the comics, I stopped at about 50 I believe and just recently picked up the first two Animated DVD's from Wal Mart for $5 a pop! I havent watched em yet, but I plan to soon.