Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The remastered Spartacus is a bigger improvement even than the remastered Patton so you are in for a treat. In the opening scenes shot by Anthony Mann it makes the old Blu-ray look like a DVD as there is such a big difference in detail:
So you'll loan me a copy of the remastered "Spartacus"? ;)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Last time I asked, CBS was willing, but Paramount didn't feel the need.
If you could look after it I would say it's a good idea to release it on 4k UHD but if left with the usual suspects at Paramount I would rather not see it released. Too much of a risk that we will get a subpar smoothened version.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
If you could look after it I would say it's a good idea to release it on 4k UHD but if left with the usual suspects at Paramount I would rather not see it released. Too much of a risk that we will get a subpar smoothened version.
I don’t believe you have to worry about any smoothing of the image. Paramount will never release MFL.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I don’t believe you have to worry about any smoothing of the image. Paramount will never release MFL.
It is ironic that a non-release currently is the only kind of release from Paramount that one does not have to be worried about.

On the other hand I have already preordered Spartacus which I would not have done a few years ago when Universal would regularly release problematic versions of even their biggest titles like Jurassic Park and Back to the Future.

RickardL

Second Unit
Has anyone noticed that the picture on the left has an actress named Sabina Bethmann who was fired by Stanley Kubrick when he took over the diirection of the film. She was of course replaced by Jean Simmons without ever being filmed. That picture is a publicity photo taken prior to filming.
Nope. Probably not Universal either. :)

Last edited:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter

Based upon Paramount aversion to releasing their heritage films on blu ray. So many films have not made it to blu ray.
I was responding to Robert Harris' comment that Paramount doesn't believe that it's not necessary to release MFL on 4k uhd. I truly hope that Paramount changes their mind and I'm proven wrong.
It is ironic that a non-release currently is the only kind of release from Paramount that one does not have to be worried about.

On the other hand I have already preordered Spartacus which I would not have done a few years ago when Universal would regularly release problematic versions of even their biggest titles like Jurassic Park and Back to the Future.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter

Spartacus is my favorite film. I'm thrilled with what Universal has accomplished for home viewing based upon the last blu ray. I'm pretty confident the the upcoming release will be great.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
As Paramount and CBS are back to being parts of the same company, Viacom/CBS, shouldn't there just be one voice, yea or nay, as to whether MFL will be released in 4K?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Spartacus is my favorite film. I'm thrilled with what Universal has accomplished for home viewing based upon the last estate blu ray. I'm pretty confident the the upcoming release will be great.
I’ve not yet received the final 4k product, but from data files and other material, I feel it looks better than either the Criterion DVD or the laserdisc.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Hope to get a boost in the black levels in the opening titles. In the 70mm print the titles were a pure velvet black. Not so in my opinion in the bluray. As in 2001, the blacks were much better in the 4k.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I’ve not yet received the final 4k product, but from data files and other material, I feel it looks better than either the Criterion DVD or the laserdisc.
However, the question remains is it better than the last blu ray. I'm going to assume upcoming reviews will confirm that it will be better...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
However, the question remains is it better than the last blu ray. I'm going to assume upcoming reviews will confirm that it will be better...
One might presume it to be at least as good, but not quite as nice as a 1960 TLA print. Too much missing color record material.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
One might presume it to be at least as good, but not quite as nice as a 1960 TLA print. Too much missing color record material.
Unfortunately we can't go back to 1960. My memory of the presentation at the DeMille Theatre in Jan 1961 is vivid but I'm sure 'things' are missing. You certainly had an inside look to what could be done...and everything that could be done was.... My recollection was that the sound was much better in 1961 and your restoration as presented in 1990 at the Ziegfeld was pretty darn good. The blu ray cannot match the sound of the 70 mm presentations.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan