What's new

SPARS code resurection? (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I noticed that the back of the new "nemo" DVD has DDD.

Has the SPARS code been revived to reflect all digital video productions?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i guess no one cares, has no info or doesnt know what you are referring to.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I think I remember one reason (that it was discontinued on most pop cd's) was that the CD public sometimes would absolutely refuse to buy a CD that wasn't DDD.

Apparently these people didn't realize that some of the most hideous sounding recordings ever made were all digital and some of the best sounding CD's came from analog sources.

Many of these people didn't realize how wonderful Studer and Ampex were and still could be.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I think I remember one reason (that it was discontinued on most pop cd's) was that the CD public sometimes would absolutely refuse to buy a CD that wasn't DDD.
After working in the music retail biz for some 18 years I found that the only customers who knew what they were and shopped by them were the classical customers. I never had any other type of customer use them or refuse to buy becasue of the SPARS.

In the case of classical it does help because there are so many recordings that were just churned out to cd. In case anyone doesn't know what they mean here is the layout:

A Analog Recording
A Analog Mixing
D Digital Mastering

A Analog Recording
D Digital Mixing
D Digital Mastering

D Digital Recording
D Digital Mixing
D Digital Mastering

--Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks