Sparks In My Eyes

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ThomasC, Nov 1, 2003.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I was watching the OSU/Penn State football game today, and it was down to the very last second. I was extremely nervous, and after much rejoicing when OSU won, including closing my eyes, jumping up and down, and screaming/yelling, I saw a few red sparks in my eyes for 10 seconds or so. That's never happened before, does anyone know what happened?

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Red starlike objects, dancing around in your field of view and leaving little contrails?

Yeah, the blood supply (or at least the oxygen supply) to your head dropped off for a few seconds. I used to know the physiology behind this but have long since forgotten it. If memory serves what you describe can happen due to any of the following or any combination of the following: hyperventilating, holding your breath, standing up suddenly after a long period in a sitting or kneeling position - or screaming and jumping up and down in front of the TV like a nut case while watching a football game. [​IMG] No big deal, nothing to worry about. I'm mildly surprised it has never happened to you before, as it is really quite common.

Regards,

Joe

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thanks, Joseph!

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

used to happen to me quite a bit. my friends and i have always called it a "head rush" ... most of the time from standing up too quickly.