Sparkle gone? Room problems? Not popular, but this is what I did.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Meaux, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

I have:
    2 DCM-07's center
    2 JBL 4410's rear
    2 JBL 4312's front
    2 12" Optimus subs
    Adcom GFA-7000 5ch. amp
    Adcom GFA-555 2ch. amp
    Adcom GTP-555 preamp/ processor/ tuner
    This whole mess sounded dull unless the volume was turned up LOUD and then it wasn't practical.
    I saw an add on $99 2 ch. Apex Aural Exciters and bought 1.
    Hooked it up to my garage (Sansui AU-9900 w/ Magneplaner 1.5QR's) stereo thru the tape loop. Like gettin new speakers, "BIG BOTTOM" works great. Adjusted right it dosen't overload anything. Brings everything "forward".
    I was so amazed I found 3 more @ $99ea. This time I hooked these up between my preamp and amp for the "Theater". The sparkle is there, the subs are tighter and the volume dosen't run everyone out of the house. If you turn up the volume it's great cause these things do not "add" gain. I disconnected the EQ's. (I thought they would help, not good)
    I know this is "Home Theater blasfamy(?)" and I'm gonna get flamed, but I just had to report my findings. Maybe I have a hearing problem (51yrs.) but everyone else likes it too.
    Got my flame suit on, gettin ready to hookup my new Toshiba 50H81.
    Whadda Ya'll think?
    Meaux

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Interesting.... I haven't heard of Aural Exciters... Please elaborate on them a little.
    Those JBL mains and fronts you have are very strong I bet. I have a pair of the old L100's (a furniture version of the 4311) and I agree that they need turned up to sound really good. But, they are really in your face then!!!
    I am always looking for a difference and buy a bunch of stuff to checkout. Would like to hear more about the exciters.
    Being 52, and having been into good audio for 25 years (car and home), I too wonder if I am losing some of the sensitivity in my hearing. I usually turn things up pretty loud anyway and like to feel my sound. The SVS and couch shakers have been my best adds lately.
    ------------------

3. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

Donny,
    Aphex claims the exciter restores harmonics lost in the recording process. Model 104 c2 w/ BigBottom is the one I bought. 2 controls for BigBottom, 2 for the exciter section. Easy to use. Has balanced ins and outs, but you can use a 1/4" to RCA adaptor. It has 1/4 female jacks. It's in the ProProcessor depts. of Mars Music, Guitar Center type stores. I think it was made mainly for recording on tape, but whatever it was made for it works.
    My son laughed at me for buying 4, but after he heard it in the garage, he's beggin for one now. Gonna try one with an electric guitar tonite or tommorow.
    When I first started looking they were $399 then $299, so when I saw a $99 price I couldn't help myself. I bought the last one Guitar Center had and when I used it I freaked out, disconnected the EQ and went shopping for 3 more, Mars had them on sale for $99 a few weeks later, I had to order them and wait a week. It was worth it. Buy one and try it on a 2ch. stereo. Run it thru a tape loop or between preamp and amp.