What's new

Spark Plugs: RJ19LM=J19LM? (1 Viewer)

My lawn mower recently quit working midway through cutting my grass and wouldn't start again. I looked up the troubleshooting guides on the internet and ended up determining it was a bad spark plug. The only problem is the plug that was installed, Champion RJ19LM, was not available at my local store so I ended up buying the Champion J19LM. The lawn mower works like a champ (at least for the 15-20 seconds I let it run after it started) with the J19LM installed.

My question is it safe to leave the J19LM installed or should I spend the money to have the RJ19LM shipped to me from an internet company? I would do this anyway, but shipping at the few sites I looked at doubled or tripled the cost of the spark plug (less than $2.00 locally for the J19LM).

If it matters the lawn mower is a Toro Recycler model 20041.

Thanks for any opinions/suggestions.

LewB

Screenwriter
I believe that they are the same.
That is a common plug used by MANY engines.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/SparkPlugs/spkplghnbook.html#Today's

Today's spark plugs use resistors to eliminate radio frequency interference (RFI) which can affect on-board computer systems, AM and FM radio reception, TV broadcasts and even airplane communications, Each time the spark jumps across a gap, an electromagnetic field is created that can interfere with radio signals, By placing a resistor in the spark plug, we can substantially reduce RFI. Furthermore, the use of non-resistor plugs with today's complex computer systems can result in driveability problems, loss of performance and can even cause the computer to store trouble codes.

Thank you all for the information. I figured it would be okay, but just wanted to make sure.

I'm just glad I tried it, normally I'm the type of person to just replace the whole thing if it quits working. Being prodded into trying to fix it by my family saved me a few hundred bucks (to help offset the cost of the jump into HD-DVD).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks