What's new

Spare us all! Another Indiana Jones film could be on the way (1 Viewer)

Pete-D

Screenwriter

Cate Blanchett's character was completely underused.

Also Oxley felt like a character that was there just by virtue of making it through several re-writes ... his character was unneccessary.

It was just all ... bland.

For the next Indy if they're gonna do it, first and foremost turn up the supernatural/paranormal elements and atmosphere. Keep it in the 50s, that was one of the few things that sorta worked in TCS.

Second inject some sexual tension (not "romance" ala Episode 2 -- good ol' fashioned sexual tension) into the film ... if Ford is too old for that then let Shia's character get caught up in that with dad trying to dissuade him from making the same mistakes he made.

Something ... anything ... put some sizzle back into the character relationships.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think this is a bad idea. I didn't all out hate part 4, I just found it really lazy. The first three worked because they had a decent story to them. Part 4 felt more like pandering to audience expectations as opposed to having a solid story. It also seemed to pander to the younger crowd (ground hog doing a double take for the audience?) instead of being an all ages film. Harrison proved that he's too old for the role, and Shia Lebouf proved that he shouldn't be allowed to make movies. ;) So while Indy 4 was good enough, for me, it proved that the series should end and we should all move on to other excitements.

Amadeus19

Grip
Real Name
John Livingston
I don't have anything new to add just voicing my opinion that i don't think another Indiana Jones movie is a good idea. Eventually people run out of passion for a character, especially when movies about that character start getting steadily more ridiculous. Aliens? Surviving a nuclear blast in a refrigerater? Give me a break. This isn't Harry Potter that can get away with 8 films...

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
We've had ark ghosts, melting Nazis, magical Sankara stones, guys having their hearts ripped out and not croaking, not to mention the Holy Grail, but aliens somehow cross the line?

I wouldn't mind a prequel with Harrison doing the bookends, like was done in the Young Indy series. (More wild and wooly fun to had in the 1930's anyway.) Sean Patrick Flanery isn't too old to play Indy pre-Raiders?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Or an older Mutt played by a better actor than Shia. Let Shia be Mutt's awkward teenage phase.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I..........I............look, I love Indy but when I saw the trailer I knew it was hopeless, and all the hollering about Aliens not fitting in with Indy is silly as a previous poster pointed out, but I hated this film, me and my wife rolled our eyes so often we must have looked like Alex from A Clockwork Orange in the hospital bed when the flashbulbs start to go off. It was horrible. It had none of the energy of the first films. It was sad in fact to watch.

Spielberg needs to stop trying (or letting George convince him) to recapture his youthful recklessness and just be the mature filmmaker he had become over the last ten or fifteen years. At the very least someone needs to break Lucas' word processor and let another more talented writer helm the scripts because George has truly lost his ability to write a good script long, long ago.........

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't care at all for Indy 4. Indy wasn't Indy, ie a man obsessed with finding an ancient mystical artifact. He doesn't really give a rat's ass about the skulls, which have zero historical weight to them. He has to be coerced into going after them. Remember the scene in the original when Indy threatens to blow up the Ark, but backs off when Belloq says "this is history"? NO one can tell me he would have hesitated in the slightest to destroy the skulls to save those he cares about, because the skulls mean nothing to him. Also, the John Hurt character was superfluous and redundant. Why do we want to see an Indy "clone" unraveling mysteries (I won't use the word "ancient" in this context, because the whole crystal skulls business was made up relatively recently)? Show Indy, dammit.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I didn't necessarily mind the aliens idea. In the Indy universe an alien story could work fine. However, it didn't. Not because it was aliens, but because, IMHO, the movie was terrible. If you are going to have an alien storyline then it better be pretty damn good and somehow tie into Indy's drive for archaeological significance, and it just didn't work. I DVR'd the movie the other day on Epix. This was the second viewing I've had, first being in the theater. Turned it off mid way through it. I like the other three though, so 3/4 is a great ratio.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I didn't love KOTCS, but I'm probably more positive about it than 95% of the people online. I want them to do another one for two reasons. First, I'll take a mediocre/bad Indy movie over most good or even great movies, as long as it's still Harrison Ford in the role. Second, the series as it stands currently feels awkward. As much as they might have tried to make KOTCS feel like the others, it doesn't, and a lot of that, to me, is the period when it was made. The overall series doesn't feel as awkard if there's more than 1 movie made in this era of cinema.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see them bring Lawrence Kasdan back. Give him Lucas's story idea and let him run with it. He was responsible for exchange in Indy IV, and it's the best in the whole movie:

Marion Ravenwood: I'm sure I wasn't the only person to go on with my life. There must have been plenty of women for you over the years.
Indiana Jones: Yeah. There were a few, but they all had the same problem.
Marion Ravenwood: Yeah? What's that?
Indiana Jones: They weren't you, honey.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yet you can't blame it all on Lucas as a rather talented writer/director wrote the screenplay, David Koepp. It was a joint failure.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Koepp's involvement was the first major warning sign for me. I don't like his writing and I don't understand why Spielberg likes working with him.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They should have had the courtesy to make a good fourth installment in the Indy series first. If they had done that, the title of this thread would have been much different. As it stands, the title of this thread seems entirely appropriate. Indy IV was so mediocre that it honestly raises the question whether a fifth one will do little more than result in more tarnish to a great character.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

They should have had the courtesy to make a good fourth installment in the Indy series first.

I'm pretty sure all involved felt that they were making a good movie. I don't think there were crew members sitting around, twirling their mustaches, laughing maniacally as they intentionally made a bad movie as a middle finger to their fans. And as this thread has pointed out, there are many people who enjoyed the fourth film.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chad R

I'm pretty sure all involved felt that they were making a good movie.

You could say that about any filmmaker, including the likes of Ed Wood, Roland Emmerich, and Michael Bay. A good movie isn't defined by what the filmmaker thinks of his own effort.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I will be the dissent. I liked Indiana Jones IV. Probably more then any other save "Temple of Doom", which I thought was the best of the series. Part of what makes Indiana Jones appeal to me is how strongly it follows, a bit tongue and cheek, with the 1930s/1940s movie serials that were presented, adventures that were over the top.

I thought Indiana Jones Crystal Skull was almost a near perfect jab at the 1950s serials which became infactuated with aliens, hidden aliens, etc. It was a great riff on all of those, and like I said, only "Temple of Doom" really did it better with regards to over-the-top portrayals of characters straight out of those titles.

In regards to "this action sequence was.." Come on. That's part of what I enjoyed. Is it any crazier then falling out of a plane on a liferaft (Temple of Doom), and are Aliens any more strange then a locked up "Wrath of God" in Raiders?

I get it, that some really didn't like it. But I say bring on more. Stay over the top. I'm hoping they go back for more 50s era serials and fall right in that boat. Which, I guess, means that if they all the sudden had a 50' snake, I'd laugh my ass off and roll along.
I think part of it is what you expect the films to be.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
To paraphrase Indy from Raiders: "It ain't the idea honey, it's the execution."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members