What's new

Spanish on packaging (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The best assembly instructions I ever had were for a Moen faucet a few years ago, and there were NO languages on it. It was all pictures!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I work in the largest Sears store in Central California. On any given weekend fully 50% of our customers do not speak a word of English--Spanish, a number of Asian languages, and Middle Eastern/South Asian but very few English speakers. We have many Mexican nationals with blond hair and blue eyes shopping in our store who speak no English--Electronics are much cheaper here than in Mexico so they come north of the border to make purchases.

Oddly enough I was looking at a huge box/crate containing a Sears lawn tractor yesterday--it had labelling in English, French, and of all things German, but NOT Spanish.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I grew up in Stockton and did a stint as a 911 operator during college. I can tell you from personal experience - a basic command of the english language should be MANDATORY for medical licensing (it is not) if not for general residency for everyone. As Michael Reubin described - in a medical emergency good communications is imperative. There is no possible way for a city to have every possible language represented at all times at the 911 call center (not to mention even identifying a language can take precious moments) Therefore it must fall to the person making the call - which could be anyone. They may be a participant or only a passer-by, but they need to be able to communicate with emergency personnel.
I am all for multi-lingual and multi-cultural communities, however I believe that there needs to be a standard and English is the obvious choice in the US. I do not believe that any US government agency should provide services in any other language (except english courses.) Failure to do so will lead to a dangerous state reminiscent of Babel.
(I also think that, though multi-culturalism has merit, a community is build on commonality - and the stronger the community the better the standard of living for all its members)
None of us wold go to live in Ecuador, Brazil, Japan, Saudi Arabia or anywhere else without spending time learning the language. We certainly would not expect them to accommodate us.

Oh, And Jeremy Irwin, that video CRACKED ME UP. It is so true of Microboffed - they cram way too much into all of their products to the point of near non-functionality.. and M$ is not the only guilty party - nearly all computer providers are guilty of the same. (logitec, belkin, etc)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
No doubt that HTF members are of a superior breed, but I know plenty of Americans and Canadians (and a few Europeans) living here whose knowledge of Spanish ranges from non-existent to abysmal. Aside from that, I’ve lived in some of the countries you mention and at best I probably knew only one hundred or so words of Japanese and my only Portuguese was pretty much Spanish. A problem when working in several places is that you can’t both learn a local language and actually work at the same time—most especially when going from one assignment to another.

A small point, but as we discuss language—when being insistent on a common language in the United States it might be well to use the name of the language correctly: English (note the use of the capital letter).

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Yea, i noticed as i was typing my timing was off on the shift, but i thought F**K it. Its not that important to go back and fix it.;)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Lew;
the point is not perfect grammar, it is communications - and "m pretty sure that the lack of a few caps, commas or vowels does not render my message unintelligible.

I'm curious about your job. You travel alot - how long do you stay in any location? Months, years? I would presume that if the duration were long enough to do something like raise a family that you would find the time to invest in learning the local language, customs and culture. If you are just passing through and not a permanent resident then it would seem fair for different expectations apply.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Eric, I only note the humor of demanding the government to only use English (except for English course and making a simple mistake.

It bothers me not at all when errors in spelling or grammar creep into posts—most especially as I write so fast, I make many, many errors. But you must see the humor of requiring a national language (which is what it would take to make those agencies use English only) and misuing that same language in the same sentence.

My job is in my profile: retired (and very happily, I might add). Before that I was in the IT industry. My longest stint was in Australia (5 consecutive years in Adelaide and Sydney, as well as stints in Melbourne and Canberra) and the shortest would probably have been in Korea (just a couple of times for a couple of weeks).

As far as learning the local language, my (perhaps not too clear) point was that I know many people where I now live who have plenty of time, live here permanently (or for extended periods of time) and have yet to learn the language. And often, even when living in a place for some time, other obligations (such as work) get in the way of learning the local language. For example I spent (over time) about two total years in various countries in South America, and my Spanish is more or less adequate, but I completely stumbled around in Brazil.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What bothers me about some comments in this thread, is that the world pretty much bends over backwards for English speakers (something about which I feel fortunate) and it seems to me little enough to ask for some accommodations for those who speak and read other languages in the States.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I suppose it could be humerous, but not really. Many of my messages are from an iPhone - not easy to type on those buggers. Not to mention the universal casualness of online posts.
Regardless - it would seem that there are plenty of English speakers out there in foreign lands who also could learn a bit about language.
I'm curious - in places you've ben to (like Korea) - is there much english language on packaging, media, forms, etc? How does it compare to spanish in the US?

Blu

Screenwriter
Just my two cents but I feel that the multicultural thing has been taken a bit too far in accommodating other languages. I get tired of pushing 1 for English.

I really feel that The Great American Melting Pot has been broken recently and becoming an American just doesn't mean what it used to mean. I know a young German girl who had to go to some extreme measures to obtain a green card and how difficult it was for her. However she did get it and can speak fluent English and barely without an accent.

It would mean something for her to gain citizenship. I'm not against encouraging immigrants to come here, I want more! I'd like the INS system to be streamlined to make the legal immigrants who want to become Americans to do so more easily. However I'd also like those who have NO interest in assimilating into the American culture to remove themselves from it.

I might be wrong but I feel it chips away at our sovereignty and national identity. I don't want to live in Canada or Mexico. Those are beautiful countries but I like living here and here we should speak the language of our Founding Fathers.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

Too true. It is a shameul fact that too many immigrants consider it easier to cross a desert on foot than to comply with thy byzantine standards of entering the country legally.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

I agree about the INS system being a mess. Anyone who has spent any time looking at it will realize that it is arbitrary and byzantine.

On the other hand, I also know that my grandfather, a German American born in the United States in 1899, learned the English language in school, despite being born here, and having parents who were here before the civil war (great grandfather supplied beef to the north). They spoke German at home and didn't bother teaching him much English. Because of this, I really can't bitch much about new immigrants not spending every waking hour in English lessons.

Also, for what it's worth, the date I tossed out there might seem strange. I'm 40. I was born when my father was 28. he was born when his father was 50, and his grandfather was 105. So, if I have my math correct, my Great Grandfather would have been around 134 when I was born, and my Grandfather was 69. This issue dates back a long time. (note that half years make my math a bit strange)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I think English should be the official language of America and things should only be written in English. I guess I'm in the minority.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Personally I’m always happy when in another, non-English speaking country to be able to pick up an English language newspaper or attend a movie with English subtitles. To write that things should only be written in English marginalizes those for whom English is not a primary language. Surely you don’t think that there is anything wrong with people being able to read a newspaper in French, Korean, Chinese, or Spanish when living in or visiting the States?

Remember Jean Seberg in Paris: “New York Herald Tribune”.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I find this the single most illuminating comment in this thread. That's because (regarding the above) to me, it was never an option! :)

(Michael R., thanks for the clarification re: German adventure)

--
H

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Do you really believe Mexicans are footing it into the US because they think it's "easier" than applying for legal immigrant status? It's more like they have no interest in becoming Americans. They only come because they can make more money here than in Mexico. They don't have to pay taxes, they get free health care, free education for their children (all of which you and I pay for), demand we learn Spanish and they send most of their money back to Mexico. Then have the nerve to demand same rights as natural born citizens of the US.

I don't mean any offense here to anyone, but some of you need to spend some time in Southern California and see how illegal immigration from Mexico is destroying it. It's one of the reasons we left - we didn't want to raise our kids there.

My wife is an immigrant so I know what it takes to become a US citizen and I have no issue with those who go through proper channels no matter where they're from. But to say they cross the dessert because it's easier just screams ignorance to the realities of the problem.

No offense, but it's a major concern for me.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious: Are official government documents such as ballots written in English in places such as, say, Mexico, France, Italy, or Germany?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
As far as I am aware, the answer is no--but I was responding to the post by Paul F. where he wrote 'things'--he did not limit to government documents.

Edited to add that many countries have customs and immigration documents in English.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks