What's new

Spam Screener? (1 Viewer)

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
I am having huge problems with spam. Tonight, it took me over 10 minutes to download all of my mail on my dial-up connection. Is there software available that will allow me to check the name of the sender and the subject line before downloading my emails? And then allow me to delete the email from the server, rather than download it? This is just becoming too much to bear.

Thanks for any help. Ten minutes is just too much, and it seems to be getting worse.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
John,
You're going to have to provide us with some more details. What mail client are you using? Windows or Mac? Do you have access to the server to run programs? If so, is that Windows or Unix? Are you using POP3 or IMAP to get your email?

Personally, I use IMAP for my email, which I access with a number of clients, but mostly Mail for MacOS X. Mail has a built in spam filter, but I also run a unix program called spamassassin on my mail server that filters all of my mail for me.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Don -

Sorry, I forgot to mention my details. I am using a Windows Me PC. My email program is Outlook Express 6. I use Pop3.

I think that If I can't get this filter in place, I am going to have to go through chaning my email address. What a pain!

Thanks for all your help.

PS - It doesn't have to be freeware or anything. I am always glad to pay for software that works well.

Ryan B

Agent
Try this program:

http://www.abreuretto.com/anti-spam/indexi.htm

It's freeware. It allows you to read through all of your email Subject lines and delete the ones you don't want. Then you just download what's left using Outlook or whatever. You don't need to change your email program.

It works like a charm for me. Highly Recommended!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I use MailWasher. Not only does it let you see subject lines and delete the ones you don't want before you download the messages, it will also send bounce messages back to the spammer which tells them that your e-mail address does not exist. Sometimes they believe it and stop sending spam.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I use Mailwasher too & I'm a big fan of it. As Wayne says, it lets you screen your emails before you download it, you can filter out spam based on sender, subject etc, as well as use wildcards to help catch it. You can also flag email addresses etc as friends to automatically make them pass the filters.

It can also hook up with the spam address databases such as ORBS to provide even more help.

Very good program, very easy to use.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
My only concern about MailWasher is that when the spammer receives the bounce they'll somehow be able to determine that it's not a real bounce and then I'll get even more spam. I've tested it by sending from one of my accounts to another and bouncing it back, and the bounce message looks authentic, but I still worry about actively sending mail back to a spammer.

And of course MailWasher is ineffective against spam coming from a forged return address, which is ironic because MailWasher itself forges the return address on its bounce messages as part of making them look real.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
John:

Another one to check out is Spamkiller. It does a really good job of filtering out the messages that you want to see and the ones that you want to delete.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread