What's new

Spaghetti Western classic The Big Gundown in October from Grindhouse Releasing! (1 Viewer)

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Coming soon on Blu-Ray! Grindhouse Releasing is proud to present the first ever US homevideo release of the Lee Van Cleef / Sergio Sollima spaghetti western classic. with a stunning new HD remaster of the original uncensored 110 minute director's cut and loads of extras.

On youtube:
[color=rgb(153,153,153);font-family:arial, sans-serif;margin:0px;font-size:13px;background-color:transparent;font-weight:bold;]GrindhouseReleasing [/color][color=rgb(153,153,153);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:11px;margin:0px .5em;background-color:transparent;]1 day ago[/color]
It will be released in October and will include both the English and Italian language versions of the movie.
This film has received high praise everywhere I look, including from those whose opinions I respect on this forum.
Even Leonard Maltin agrees that it's "arguably the best non-Leone spaghetti Western."
It's been claimed that Grindhouse Releasing was working in association with original rights holder Columbia Pictures/Sony for a digital restoration of the film.
I can't wait!

post-315184-0-28851900-1369131152.jpg

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm glad Grindhouse Releasing finally decided on a release date.

I actually like THE BIG GUNDOWN better than Leone's "Man With No Name" films for several reasons. It has a real story to tell and doesn't string us along with implausible comedy skits and games.

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
This is a movie that I've never actually seen - I can't recall it ever being shown on UK TV despite periodic bursts of spaghetti western seasons over the years.

I'm hoping the trailer above doesn't accurately represent the movie as it reminded me of Sabata - a film I don't like.

For me, the best of the non-Leone spaghetti westerns is Corbucci's The Great Silence.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I don't like Sabata, either. I don't understand its popularity. The Big Gundown is nothing like that. The trailer is a little misleading.

If you liked The Great Silence (1968) you'll like the two spaghetti westerns directed and co-written by French thespian Robert Hossein, Le Gout de la Violence (A Taste for Violence, 1961) and Cimetero Senza Croci (Cemetery Without Crosses, 1969). There isn't a lot of dialogue in Hossein's work. He conveys the tragic stories through physical business and visual metaphor. Neither film has a region A / region 1 release.

Hossein was an influential and controversial dramatist in France throughout the 1950s and 1960s. After seeing his two spaghetti westerns I started gathering the other films he directed. The more familiar I become with his work the more I wonder if The Great Silence wasn't Corbucci emulating Hossein, it is so unlike Corbucci's other films and has so much in common with Hossein.

CemetaryWithoutCrosses-1968-one.jpg

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Richard--W said:

I actually like THE BIG GUNDOWN better than Leone's "Man With No Name" films for several reasons. It has a real story to tell and doesn't string us along with implausible comedy skits and games.
I love Leone, and we know that he's well regarding among film lovers, so the fact that this film gets mentioned near Leone is enough for me to want to see it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Richard--W said:

I am not familiar with this film, but am always interested in discovering new spaghetti westerns. Thanks for the overview on this one. I will definitely be ordering. Anything compared favorably with Leone sparks my interest.

Grubert

Grip
Real Name
von
La resa dei conti is indeed a good Spagehtti Western, but nowhere as good as the Leones or the best by Corbucci. Or the 2 films by Robert Hossein mentioned above.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Richard--W said:
If you liked The Great Silence (1968) you'll like the two spaghetti westerns directed and co-written by French thespian Robert Hossein, Le Gout de la Violence (A Taste for Violence, 1961) and Cimetero Senza Croci (Cemetery Without Crosses, 1969). There isn't a lot of dialogue in Hossein's work. He conveys the tragic stories through physical business and visual metaphor. Neither film has a region A / region 1 release.

Hossein was an influential and controversial dramatist in France throughout the 1950s and 1960s. After seeing his two spaghetti westerns I started gathering the other films he directed. The more familiar I become with his work the more I wonder if The Great Silence wasn't Corbucci emulating Hossein, it is so unlike Corbucci's other films and has so much in common with Hossein.
Cemetery Without Crosses has been released in R1 before, under it's alternate title The Rope and the Colt. It was released in one of the big multi-disc collections sold for cheap; I couldn't find it on Amazon.com only Amazon.ca, see here

Not the most ideal release for the film, I know, but it's there.

Grubert

Grip
Real Name
von
The Rope and the Colt is a direct translation from its original title Une corde, un colt.

I don't know where the Cemetery Without Crosses title has its origin, but it was used very often and in different countries. In Italy, Germany, the USA and some others.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Looking forward to the Big Gundown, a film ive always liked. I don't think Van Cleef was The Ugly, that was Eli Wallach.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
davidHartzog said:
I don't think Van Cleef was The Ugly, that was Eli Wallach.
Correct, either a stupid mistake or Van Cleef turning from Bad to at least half-good did not fit their agenda.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
This is going to be a 4 disc special edition:

[*]Grindhouse Releasing is proud to present the first-ever U.S. home video release of the greatest Spaghetti Western you've never seen - Sergio Sollima's widescreen epic THE BIG GUNDOWN. The legendary Lee Van Cleef stars as a relentless bounty hunter on the trail of Cuchillo (Euro-film superstar Tomas Milian), a savage Mexican outlaw accused of the rape and murder of a twelve-year-old girl. Written by ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST screenwriter Sergio Donati, THE BIG GUNDOWN features an incredible soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. This Special Edition contains 15 additional minutes of gunslinging action never before seen in America.

ALL REGION

Special Features:

Four Disc Deluxe Limited Edition Combo Pack - Two Blu-rays, One DVD And One Bonus CD
Individually Numbered And Limited To 3000 Copies
[*]
Spectacular New 2K Digital Restoration Of The Original Uncensored English Language Version, Newly Expanded With Three Additional Scenes
[*]
LA RESA DEI CONTI - The Complete, 110 Minute Director's Cut Presented In Italian With Optional English Subtitles And Special Musical Subtitles
[*]
Bonus CD - THE BIG GUNDOWN - Original Soundtrack By Ennio Morricone
[*]
Compelling In-Depth Interviews With Director Sergio Sollima, Star Tomas Milian And Screenwriter Sergio Donati (ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST)
[*]
Audio Commentary By Western Film Experts C. Courtney Joyner And Henry C. Parke
[*]
Liner Notes By C. Courtney Joyner And Euro-Music Expert Gergely Hubai
[*]
Extensive Still Galleries, Trailers And TV Spots
[*]
AND OTHER SURPRISES!
[*]
[/list]

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Pre-ordered.

I have this restoration released by Explosive Media in Germany. It's region free. The transfer is outstanding. Grindhouse is releasing the exact same package in the USA.

Highly recommended.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
That was the pre-order place, yes. Maybe the price will go down.

I keep blind-buying spaghetti westerns that people recommend, but I'm so disappointed in them the genre is failing to sustain my interest.

I may jettison my entire collection of spaghetti westerns pretty soon, except for a few. THE BIG GUNDOWN is one of the few.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks