What's new

Spade Connectors and Yamaha HTR-5460 (1 Viewer)

Neeraj

Grip
Hi:
I am a newbie and have a simple question (I think!!). I would greatly appreciate any help that you guys can give.
I just got a Yamaha 5460 and wanted to connect spade connectors to it. However, it seems as though there isn't enough space in the binding posts of the reciver to be able to take spade connectors (I haven't tried this yet - I am just assuming)- looks like bare wire should slide in relatively easily but the spade connectors seem kind of wide. Specifically, the connectors that I was looking at were these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=091-315
The Yamaha wesite seems to say that this can be done but the manual does not mention spades at all (only banana jacks and bare wire). So I was just wondering if anybody has done this successfully on a 5460 (or similar receiver) so that I can go ahead and order these. I would hate to get them if they don't fit (I know its not a lot of money but I am trying to make every buck count).
Again, any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Nerraj. Welcome to HTF! :)
Yes, the binding posts on Yamaha receivers are considered "5-way" and spade connectors are one of the 5.
But ... there is not a "standard" for the post size and some spades are extra-wide and dont fit.
Personally, I prefer banana plugs. The grouping of the binding posts on my Yamaha units are so tight that I would be afraid of how much trouble it would be to wire things up and not interfear with the other plugs. Going straight out of the posts with banana plugs is much easier.
I like the Radio Shack xxx-308 compression style banana plugs for behind the receiver. They also sell similar pin plugs. You might stop by a local store and see if they have spades similar to the Parts Express units, if you are really stuck on spade connectors. Go buy one set of spades, run to your local stereo store and give em a try.
Good Luck.

Neeraj

Grip
Thanks for the info Bob.
I guess I can go with banana plugs then. Does anybody have opinions on either of these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=091-330
or
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...umber=091-1260
Could anyone explain what "compression style" on banana plugs means? :frowning:
Also, my speakers are Polk R40s (for now) and they won't take banana plugs. Should I just stick to bare wire in this case? BTW, spades should fit here relatively easily.
BTW, the reason I keep giving partsexpress links for all my accessories is because I'll probably get the Sound King 12 gauge wire from them as well so I might as well get my accessories from them too.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Neeraj,
I wud avoid the 091-330: I got them and found your are forced to use the side hole, not what I wanted. The other choice also looks similar. A basic plug is THIS. You also can get 'em at RadioShack.
The plugs unscrew in the middle. The stripped wire goes thru the bottom piece and the copper strands are splayed out and spread down over the threads. The top piece screws down on the strands.
You can also look for models that come with red/blck sleeves to slide up on the plug; makes a nice finish and handhold.

Neeraj

Grip
Thanks Bill...

I went and looked at the 091-330 and found this description:

-----------------------------------------

Very high quality gold banana plug set. Knurled barrel and compression nut with floating "slug". The floating "slug" allows tight wire compression without the twisting effect on the wire strands that other compression connectors have. Side-entry accepts up to 8 gauge wire while the rear-entry accepts up to 10 gauge wire. Also accepts rear-entry banana plugs for stacking. Overall dimensions: 1-7/8" L x 7/16" W. Sold in pairs: 1-red and 1-black per package.

--------------------------------------------

This seems to say that you can use both the rear and the side (I'll be using 12 gauge wire so I should be fine using either). Unless there is something in the way this is made which doesn't allow me to use the rear entry at all?!

Thanks again for your help.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I know: Reading that desc. is why I bought 'em. But then in hand I cudnt figure the rear entry. I posted and Bob McElfresh confirmed this is primarily a side-entry plug with capability to stack another plug on the bottom piece. I ended up using the side-hole!

ok, apologies:b I went back to these plugs and managed to insert stripped wire (Monster HDXP) into the rear using the screw-down mpression technique previously described. But I still wudnt buy them again, unless one specifically wanted side-hole, because the unit is a tad longer and a little unwieldly in the binding post socket.

Neeraj

Grip
Can't believe they would put such a misleading representation on the web (for a site that is well known/reputed).
Well, I'll just go ahead and get them at Radio Shack - its worth paying the extra $$ when you can actually see what you are getting:)
Also, whats the deal with compression type - what does this mean (I asked this before but it seems to have been lost now)?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
sorry for the confusion; see my edit above.

Compression :

The plugs unscrew in the middle. The stripped wire goes thru the bottom piece and the copper strands are splayed out and spread down over the threads. The top piece screws down on the strands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks