Spacing issue in WORD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Seaman, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Is there a way to set Microsoft Word XP to place 2 spaces after a period rather than 1?
    I would manually place the spaces there myself, but that can lead to error and I must be consistent throughout the entire work.
    Anyway to get Word XP to place 2 spaces after each sentence automatically?

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Not that I'm aware of. I tried setting up Word's AutoCorrect feature to replace a period and a space with a period and two spaces, but it wouldn't let me.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You should be able to make a small macro which performs a find-and-replace on '. ' and replaces it with '. '. You could then run that once your document is complete.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

try this. it worked for me using nt but the os shouldn't matter anyway

do the find/replace thing.

find "."
    replace ". " (two spaces after period)

5. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

Does Microsoft Word XP have grammar check? I know that Microsoft Word 2000 has a setting under the Spelling & Grammar tab in the Options menu to set the spaces after a period to one or two.

6. JoshR

JoshR Agent

Not to sound like a grammar nazi, but there's a reason Word does one space automatically: that's how many spaces there should be after a period. Typing two spaces comes from typewriters, which put the same amount of space everywhere, making it hard to see the beginning of new sentences. This practice has been made obsolete by word processing software.

Word simply makes the space after a sentence slightly wider(an M-dash instead of an N-dash for you type freaks), accomplishing the same goal. Two spaces look, IMHO, like the Grand Canyon now that I'm used to Word's more proper spacing.

7. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

If you do use the find/replace thing, make sure you aren't using any .'s like i.e. e.g. A.M. B.C etc. etc.

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

While Josh is correct, the 2 space issue is considered largely to be obsolete- I'm curious why you can't just put the spaces in manually? I type literally dozens of pages per day and have been in the 1 space after a comma/2 space after a punctuation habut for 10 years- and I never have any problems.

But, I would say that find/replace would be your best bet (although if you have any periods for other uses like Mr. or like for digits 3.225, then you're screwed).

-Vince

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Also, if you do the "find-replace" thing, try two searchs, one for ". ^$" (without the quotes) as that will find any '.' followed by a space and then by any letter. And you can try another one like ". ^#" (again, without the quotes) just in case you start a sentence with a digit. In this way, if you happen to put double spaces in the document, you wont be accidentally putting three spaces between your sentence then. I don't think MS Word has a boolean opporator as the best way to do something like that would be a find-replace on the '.' then a space then NOT the space character... perhaps you can do this with a macro if that's worth your time or just make sure you verify each replacement before you do it.

P.S. Word will recognize the "space" character in the find so if you search for ". ", it IS different than "." so you wont find real numbers like 3.566 if you remember to search on the space too..

Jay

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I dont know of a way to automatically insert 2 spaces after a period when you only hit the space bar once and auto correct will not recognize spaces so that cannot be used. You can set word to not recognize the double spaces after the period as a grammatical/spelling error though. Tools_Options_Spelling & Grammar_Settings_and under the required fields at the top you can set it to require double spacing after the period. This way if you dont double space it will actually show up as a spelling/grammatical error and underline itself.

KyleS